In today's episode, Ryan talks with Tasheema Prince, founder of Premed Life Magazine, as she shares about her decision to take a detour from medicine, how she went about with medical writing, the beginnings of PremedLife Magazine, and its partnership with the Premed Years Podcast.
Here are the highlights of the conversation with Tasheema:
Tasheema's initial interest in medicine:
- Studying in New York and began her premed path as a biology major
- Volunteering experience
- Realizing medicine wasn't her passion during her Senior year
- Discovered medical writing as a career she can actually pursue combining her love of medicine and science with her love of writing
Pivoting to medical writing:
- Landing a job after college at a medical publishing company where they publish magazines for healthcare practitioners, nurses, etc.
- Using this as a stepping stone to her own endeavors
On Premed Life Magazine:
- Has been living inside of her since undergrad
- Seeing the need for resources and information in a fresh, interesting light
- Finally publishing it in September 2010
Premed Life Magazine's mission:
To provide relevant, timely information to anyone aspiring to gain admission to medical school.
Updates since its first publishing in 2010:
- Digital and print editions
- With 40,000+ digital readers
- More and more submissions from premed students who want to share their tips, advice, and experiences
- Campus Edition – content specifically for students officer in campus
Premed Life Magazine welcomes article submissions from students, directors, deans, physicians, and just about anybody who wishes to contribute to the site. If you are an aspiring writer or you have a story to tell, submit a guest post or provide your input by clicking on Share Your Thoughts on their site.
The Medical School HQ podcast and Premed Life Magazine have combined forces and MSHQ podcast is now the official podcast of the Premed Life Magazine.
Links and Other Resources:
Check out our partner magazine, www.premedlife.com to learn more about awesome premed information.
You may go to your premed advising office and suggest to get a magazine at the school by sending an email to email@example.com.
Most viewed posts in Premed Life Magazine:
If you need any help with the medical school interview, go to medschoolinterviewbook.com. Sign up and you will receive parts of the book so you can help shape the future of the book. This book will include over 500 questions that may be asked during interview day as well as real-life questions, answers, and feedback from all of the mock interviews Ryan has been doing with students.
Are you a nontraditional student? Go check out oldpremeds.org.
Free MCAT Gift: Free 30+ page guide with tips to help you maximize your MCAT score and which includes discount codes for MCAT prep as well.
Hang out with us over at medicalschoolhq.net/group. Click join and we'll add you up to our private Facebook group. Share your successes and miseries with the rest of us.
Next Step Test Prep: Get one-on-one tutoring for the MCAT and maximize your score. Get $50 off their tutoring program when you mention that you heard about this on the podcast or through the MSHQ website.
Listen to our podcast for free at iTunes: medicalschoolhq.net/itunes and leave us a review there!
Email Ryan at firstname.lastname@example.org or connect with him on Twitter @medicalschoolhq
Get the Podcast Free!
Listen to Other Shows
Leave us a Review and Rating!
Just like Yelp reviews or IMDB ratings help you choose your next restaurant or movie, leaving a 5 star rating and/or a written review is very valuable to The Premed Years. It allows us to be able to share our information with more people than ever before.
I am so incredibly thankful to those who have recently gone into our listing in iTunes to provide a five start rating and a written review of The Premed Years.
Subscribe and Download
Android/Mac/Windows – You can download DoubleTwist and use that to manage all of our past and future episodes
Please help us spread the word!
If you like the show, will you please take a moment to leave a comment on iTunes? This really helps us get the word out![/vc_column_text]