Active Duty Sailor

Hello! I am an active duty sailor in the intel community, 2 years into my 6 year enlistment. I graduated in Spring 2016 with my Bachelor’s in International Business with concentrations in Chinese, Spanish, and Arabic languages and a 3.05 GPA from Bradley University. I have just graduated from the Defense Language Institute in Monterey, CA with an Associate’s in Arabic with a 3.6 GPA. My question begins here: I know I want to be a doctor and I am overwhelmed by the countless options I have being an active duty service member in terms of the HPSP, GI Bill, Tuition Assistance, etc… I will be moving to Augusta, GA where I will live for the next 3 years. There are several campuses near the base (Fort Gordon) that I could potentially attend to do a DIY post bac… I do not qualify for the Navy’s enlisted to medical program as my GPA is slightly lower than desired. I do have 590 volunteer hours that have been consistent over the last two years and a lot of awards to beef up any potential application. My first plan upon arriving to Georgia is to get into an EMS course and try to start on my clinical hours needed. I do need potentially all of the prerequisites required for admission to any medical school. I really am seeking a veteran mentor or anyone that can help in guiding me to see the options more clearly. I have no problem with any service requirements after graduating medical school as I plan to remain in the navy as a naval physician until retirement once completing this path. My desire to pursue this path comes from strictly the new found confidence to do so… I listened to this podcast and heard a guest saying she found her push to med school from a bookmark asking if all fear of failure was removed what would you try to be and for me I totally agreed with her. a doctor by any means necessary.
Thank you in advance!!!

Reason for not putting a package to become an officer prior to enlisting is coming to DLI was the absolute goal following graduation from my undergrad. Becoming an officer before pursuing medical school can definitely be an option!

I was AF prior to medical school and doing the HPSP to go back in and finish out my time. I was a non-medical O in my past life. There’s really no reason for you to commission into the line before trying to get into medical school. Getting the prereqs knocked out in 3-4 years is definitely doable depending on your ops tempo. I had to take 4 classes that I spread out over 5 years, taken via distance learning (aka “online”). The Ed center at Ft Gordon would be a good resource to weigh your options.

Feel free to message me. Our paths are pretty different but I’ll try to help you where I can.