Any Pre-Med and Med Student with Prior International Credentials

Today, I have removed the GWU from the list of school after receiving a feedback that they only cater for US Citizen. Though, I can process my citizenship now so that by this year I can be a US Citizen. My friend said that it only takes 3 months. By knowing that I am not qualified on certain schools, I save the application fee and other processing costs just like from GWU.

I still have 3 applications that I can submit to other universities/College. I’m still looking for other schools. However, I want to know if after finishing this post-bac premed given my undergrad and graduate degree outside US if I can still make it to Med School. I actually checked the MSAR for these schools that I am applying for. There’s quite a few schools that accepts International Credentials. However, I want to know if it’s better to get the undergrad Pre-Med again that will give me the bachelor if the Med Schools are not going to accept my degrees as valid. I want to invest money, and effort in the path where I can see that I can be accepted in MD. Although, I don’t prefer taking another Bachelor’s degree because I’ve been there already. My GPA is 3.57. I think some schools prefers higher but I can see that some students are positive in this forum. Thus, no harm in pursuing.

My Q: Are there anybody here who was initially non-US Citizen and have successfully applied and accepted into post-bac, MD program and became an MD with International Credentials (BS,MS)?

My sister is an MD but even before she came here she’s already a doctor and just took series of tests to apply for residency. Then after which, she’s pretty fine. She has excellent grades as she’s magna-cumlaude. She also has started the science from the very start. I’m a career changer.

I’d like to know your experience.

Thank you in advance.

I’m not an international student, but I think it’s going to take a lot of legwork for you to find out these answers. Many schools require a degree or at least significant credits from a 4-year accredited U.S. institution. Maybe the post-bacc meets that for some schools, but you don’t want to waste money if you’re not sure.

I know it’s been a couple of weeks since you posted so maybe you already applied, but getting citizenship is probably a little different for everyone and there’s no way of guaranteeing you’ll have it before acceptance or even matriculation. Could you wait another year to sort things out? Then you’ll hopefully have your citizenship sorted and qualify for federal loans.

Yes, there are a couple of people. User Dazed had a degree from Asia, took post bacc classes and was accepted to Ohio State. I don’t know how many total credits he took in the US. He is no longer active on this forum and entered residency a year or two ago. User Redo-it-all has a BS from France and a PhD from a US institution. He took some classes at a CC, CLEPped a bunch of others, and was accepted to UTSW Dallas. He is a 3rd year if I’m not mistaken. There are also some other examples on that “other” forum. It can be done, but there are many many variables, so each situation is unique and individual.

I am a Canadian citizen with a US green card, I will become a citizen before applying to medical school.

It is just easier to apply as a US citizen. If you want to live and practice medicine in the united states I suggest you complete this before applying as it greatly increases your chances at acceptance (from what I’ve been researching).

If you say you can process your citizenship quickly, you should do so. I just called the USCIS office today and they said a certificate of citizenship will cost me 600$ and it will take 5 months on average to process.

To correct what Dull said (Hi Dull!), My PhD is also from France. I do have a MBA from the US though. I had to retake my prereqs here, but didn’t have to get another BS/BA. I just did 90 credit between CC/CLEP for the most part and 1 class in a 4 year university. It was biochem (and my PhD is in Biochem and had to retake the class.

Now an MS3 at UT Southwestern. Pretty challenging, but a lot of fun.

@Jeez wrote:

It is just easier to apply as a US citizen.

I applied with a green card. I think as long as you have at least a green card you are fine. I do not believe there is a difference between green card and US Citizenship. If you go to med school here, and borrow for it, the chances to practice anywhere outside the US are pretty slim. The truth is that salaries are better here, and you need them to repay your loans.

So just apply with the green card. It won’t be a problem (it was not for me).

@redo-it-all wrote:

To correct what Dull said (Hi Dull!), My PhD is also from France. I do have a MBA from the US though. I had to retake my prereqs here, but didn’t have to get another BS/BA. I just did 90 credit between CC/CLEP for the most part and 1 class in a 4 year university. It was biochem (and my PhD is in Biochem and had to retake the class.

Now an MS3 at UT Southwestern. Pretty challenging, but a lot of fun.

" Hi I am also an international graduate and heard that they dont accept my credits , can you please detail me how to take Premed classes here in USA with short time , I dont have bachelors here in USA , but Alternative medicine from INDIA."

Hi Avasantha

I wouldn’t count on getting pre-med classes in a short time. You should give yourself at least 2 years more likely 3 or 4 if you need a Bachelor, perhaps more if you work. It is important if you do well in your pre-reqs. Remember that your application starts with your pre-reqs, so be diligent. Also it is important that you work on your immigrant status. At a minimum a green card. Without that, your chances are near zero to enter a US Medical School (DO or MD).

Good luck.