Army Intel Officer Career Change

Hello everyone,

I am a 28 year old daily listener to the Old Premed Podcast and due to a recent life circumstance have decided to pursue a career in medicine. My daughter was born with a rare congenital brain disorder amongst many other health issues that have accompanied her situation. The amount of time spent in the NICU, PICU, medical appointments, and researching her condition has led me to a burning desire to be a physician. She is almost two and somewhat stable enough for me to focus on school again.

I am graduating next Spring with a degree in Business Administration from University of Maryland University College (UMUC). This is not ideal as it’s an online college and a Business degree doesn’t do much for me in terms of pre reqs for medical school. My GPA is also below where I would like it to be. I will be graduating with a 3.1. Overseas deployments and high operations tempo played a role in my lack of dedication during tough times and my grades suffered because of it.

So, my dilemma: I am 10 years into an Army career as an Intel Officer and am confused as to the best way to get into medical school. I have read up on Post-Bacc’s, Masters in BioMed, and just taking the classes individually that will help me with the MCAT and for medical school. Any advice/guidance would be greatly appreciated as this is a very non-traditional situation but one that I am not sure where to proceed with.

Thank you!