Low GPA, Not Giving Up

I wanted to introduce myself and sincerely thank everyone for their support on this site. Additionally, I wish everyone here the best of luck in this grand endeavor.

My story…

I am a 27 year old, African American female. I (barely) graduated with a B.A. in Philosophy. I was originally a double major in Philosophy & Biochemistry, but life events derailed my focus on school. My grades slipped significantly, therefore bringing down my gpa. My current cum GPA is a 2.3.

I will be starting the “Science in the Evening Program” at the University of Maryland - College Park this Summer. I will be following the plan outlined by the university:

Summer 2012

-Physics I & II

Fall 2012

• Intro. Biology

• Gen. Chemistry

Spring 2012

• Microbiology

• Organic Chem I

Fall 2013

• Cell Bio

• Organic Chem II

Spring 2013

• Gen Chem 2

• Mammalian phys

I am curious if I should add another full year of advance science courses for Fall 2014-Spring 2015? Or just focus on getting A’s and B’s in these courses, take the MCAT and apply in 2014? I need to demonstrate that I’ve got things together and can handle the workload, but how long do you spend doing this - 2 years or 3?

While my gpa is low, I feel that all is not lost. I haven’t taken the MCAT yet, therefore I believe there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I will take it one day at a time because I know I can do this.

Look forward to advice and support. Thank you all.

Welcome, and best of luck!! You are so lucky to have all those classes in an evening program, so nicely laid out!! Very cool…

As for adding another year, I would do the math. If all the credits you could take in that year would boost your gpa to a significant degree (providing you got A’s), then it’s probably worth it. If it’s not going to matter much, then I would just focus on acing the above coursework, which should draw a dramatic line between “then” and “now,” to any adcom, and then do exceptionally well on the MCAT. Put together a strong application with a compelling personal statement (where you can address those prior grades), and go for it.

But I’m curious as to what others think on this one…

Again, good luck!

Well, one question is whether you would be able to take classes full-time if you waited another year. Admissions committees like to see, when possible, that you’ve taken a full-time courseload of relevant material. Of course, that’s not always possible, but it’s a good idea to do it if you can.

I want to comment on something you said, though. You mentioned getting A’s and B’s in these courses. Here’s my two cents – B’s aren’t going to be good enough, I don’t think. You REALLY need to get A’s, especially with that low GPA that you’re carrying around. I’m not saying you can’t get in to med school, not at all – but you have a lot to prove in terms of your academic abilities. Anyway, those are just my thoughts, for what they’re worth.

Best wishes to you, and keep us all posted on your progress!

Unfortunately I have to work full time to pay for my courses and living expenses. If I win the lottery tomorrow, I’ll certainly quit my day job and take classes full-time. :slight_smile:

After careful consideration, I think it would be best for me to spend the next three years in this post-bac program getting A’s.

Updated Post-Bacc Program:

Summer 2012

Physics

Fall 2012

General Chemistry & Biology

Spring 2013

Organic Chemistry I

Microbiology

Summer 2013

MCAT Review (Physics/Biology)

Fall 2013

Organic Chemistry II

Cell Biology/Physiology

Spring 2014 -

Mammalian Physiology

Analytical Chemistry

Summer 2014

MCAT Review (Chemistry/Physics)

Fall 2014 -

Biochemistry

Spring 2015 -

MCAT Prep (Kaplan/Princeton Review)

Take MCAT (April/May)

Summer 2015 - Apply Apply Apply

Does anyone know when the new version of the MCAT will begin to be administered?

Appreciate all the support and information? Please keep it coming.

Not sure if I missed something, but I only see one semester of Biology and Gen Chem on there. Fall 2012, and then you move onto Orgo I in the spring?

While I don’t think it’s a bad idea to do MCAT review early (I posted on that specific question), I do think it may be a little too far out to do substantive topic review, as planned above. I think you’ll probably end up forgetting some of the material.

I would take classes that summer, so you could possibly take the MCAT early enough to apply that cycle, and have the application in early. I’m sure some with more experience will add their $.02 as well. Good luck to you.

I have a couple comments.

1. I would NOT take Physics I and II in the summer. There is a significant need to process and understand the material and it would be difficult to do that in the time frame shown.

2. MCAT review of physics/bio is all well and good, but it is Cell biology and basic bio that will be on MCAT, not microbiology notably. Is it possible at your institution to do:

Fall: General bio I and Chem I

Spring: Cell bio and Gen Chem II

followed by the micro and cell biology and the organic Chem I and II.

Just thoughts.

You could take additional advanced level courses during they “glide” year while applying.

Kate

@olderguy (BTW 36 is not old, it’s sexy)

In answer to your question about the biology and chemistry courses, UMaryland is “special” in that they have created a general biology and chemistry curriculum that is slightly different from other institutions.

The main difference is that after you take Gen Chem I, you dive into the two semesters of organic chemistry and then finish with a semester of analytical chemistry, which UMaryland considers Gen Chem II. The same goes for their biology courses.

Based on additional advice and my own gut feeling about Physics, I’m going to take general chemistry I during the summer since it’s acutally a course that runs the entire summer, not just one crammed summer session. Physics is my weakest subject (highest grade was a C+). I am so TERRIFIED to take physics, but I bought the course book and have been self studying on my own.

UPDATED Post-Bacc Program AGAIN,

Summer 2012

General Chemistry I

Fall 2012

Physics I & Biology

Spring 2013

Physics II & Microbiology

Summer 2013

Fall 2013

Organic Chemistry I

Cell Biology/Physiology

Spring 2014 -

Organic Chemistry II

Mammalian Physiology

Summer 2014

Fall 2014 -

Analytical Chemistry

Biochemistry (Maybe)

Spring 2015 -

Take MCAT (April/May)

The MCAT review during the summer is mainly just looking at Kaplan subject review books. I think I am a poor test taker and I need to really apply the material I’ve learned to the exam. I remember taking a diagnostic exam years ago and scoring a 15O, but I did not study had not finished my pre-reqs. I need to at least get a 30 if not higher to balance out the low gpa.

Any suggestions on improving test taking skills or study habits is greatly appreciated. :slight_smile:

Thank you all for your continued comments and advice. You’re really a blessing.

Ok, that explains the bio and chem courses.

GOOD plan re the physics – sounds much more do-able!

Kate

• netmeinone Said:
Does anyone know when the new version of the MCAT will begin to be administered?

• netmeinone Said:

While my gpa is low, I feel that all is not lost. I haven't taken the MCAT yet, therefore I believe there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I will take it one day at a time because I know I can do this.

Sounds like an inspiring success story in the making! Keep running that race!

Hopefully in the not to distance future, I’ll be able to post my success story for those in the same predicament.

Never give up on your dreams folks. :slight_smile:

• TicDocDoh Said:
  • netmeinone Said:

It looks like the new MCAT goes live Spring 2015. Therefore some 2015 applicants will be selected based on the new MCAT.

MCAT 2015 Release Timeline

https://www.aamc.org/students/download/262 752/data...
  • terra_incognita Said:

I want to comment on something you said, though. You mentioned getting A's and B's in these courses. Here's my two cents -- B's aren't going to be good enough, I don't think. You REALLY need to get A's, especially with that low GPA that you're carrying around.

I agree although I would suggest exploring why you did not get all A's; is it a time issue or commitment issue? A study skills problem? These can be remedied by taking more time and improving your study skills. If your low grades are due to a learning problem, i.e. something inherent in the way you process information or read or think, then it is much harder to fix (as I am finding out).

I couldn’t agree with you more @datsa.

I’ve taken an extensive look at my study habits from the past. A lot had to do with not studying enough, working too many hours and doing the bare minimum to pass.

I also had a psychoeducational assesment done earlier this year - hella expensive, but worth the evaluation if you’re trying to see if there’s any other underlying learning issues (i.e. ADHD, dyslexia, etc.). They found a slight issue with my working memory, so it does take me longer to process immediate information. It’s enough to say that I “could”, if I wanted to, request additional time on exams.

Again, I think my primary issue was just not having a study strategy at all. But that has certainly changed. I spend every weekend at the library or my office at work studying for classes I haven’t started yet. It feels really good and I’m grasping the concepts pretty well.

Like @datsa said, it is important to have a study strategy and make sure you don’t have any underlying learning disabilities that are not being addressed.

Please do not let a learning disability detour you. Plenty of people go to medical school with social issues, ADHD, depression and more. You’re not the only one, and plenty of doctors have worked through it.

Are you studying ahead? Me and my better half have some old textbooks (not old, just no longer useful to us) that we’d been planning to sell on Amazon for slightly more than dirt.

Would love to find a good Orgo Book? Do you have one I could buy?

• netmeinone Said:
Physics is my weakest subject (highest grade was a C+). I am so TERRIFIED to take physics, but I bought the course book and have been self studying on my own.

You CAN get an "A" in Physics. You may have to work harder at it than some but you can ace it. Respect the material, don't be afraid of it. When you respect a subject, you take it alone or with a lighter load so you can give it more time.

A suggested plan of action:

1. Check out Khan Academy for every subject you're taking. You can rewind the lectures [THIS IS BIG], ask for help on the commenting system and, in general, pay attention to the concepts you are not getting as each concept builds on the other.

2. Practice questions. There are only so many ways a Physics question can be asked at this level.

3. Be confident. Don't panic. Be Business about it.

• netmeinone Said:

UPDATED Post-Bacc Program AGAIN,

Summer 2012

General Chemistry I

Fall 2012

Physics I & Biology

Spring 2013

Physics II & Microbiology

Summer 2013

Fall 2013

Organic Chemistry I

Cell Biology/Physiology

Spring 2014 -

Organic Chemistry II

Mammalian Physiology

Summer 2014

Fall 2014 -

Analytical Chemistry

Biochemistry (Maybe)

Spring 2015 -

Take MCAT (April/May)

The MCAT review during the summer is mainly just looking at Kaplan subject review books. I think I am a poor test taker and I need to really apply the material I've learned to the exam. I remember taking a diagnostic exam years ago and scoring a 15O, but I did not study had not finished my pre-reqs. I need to at least get a 30 if not higher to balance out the low gpa.

Any suggestions on improving test taking skills or study habits is greatly appreciated. :-)

May I also suggest (and some may disagree with me), to not study the MCAT until you're going to be taking it. The summer reviews for the MCAT are not going to help you that much and may just waste your time. The reason is that you may forget some of the specific techniques/concepts etc months or even a year before you actually take the exam. The maximum amount of time you should study for the MCAT is, IMHO, 4 months (if you're employed full time like I was) and probably less if you're not. Any more and you're going to start forgetting things.

In place of the summer reviews, I would suggest taking some of your easier courses (all the biology related ones) during the summer... AND ONLY ONE. This will allow you to just take Physics or Orgo alone without other classes cramping your time. I think that this will be a better use of your time since you are apprehensive about courses like Physics.

The best thing you can do for your MCAT prep is to take the practice tests at regular intervals ****under timed conditions****. Take them all if you can afford it. One a week until your exam with a couple hours given to review WHY you got an answer wrong so you can practice to your weaknesses.

Smart Phone + Flash Card App + Quizlet.com = Success. This worked so well for me that I'm going to take it into medical school too. The wonderful thing about the app I used is that it allowed me to focus on the things I have trouble remembering as it groups the questions into 3 bins (the ones you got right, the ones you get wrong sometimes and the ones you never get right... which ones do you think I studied?). Also, with a smart phone, you can study anywhere.

Take the MCAT in April. You will get your results by the end of May which still gives you a little time to re take if you have any issues before you apply.

APPLY EARLY. People with our stats (and I have similar stats) are asking for failure with late applications.

The Secondary Prompts are on SDN. If you know where you're going to apply, start filling out all the secondary prompts in 2015 so that as soon as the secondary comes you can send it right back. Good secondaries sent in early are key. Apply the 1st day the application opens up. Line up your recommendations early so they don't hold up the show.

Ok... I think that's enough. Please discard anything you think is baloney. You know yourself more than anyone on this board.

oops... one more thing. UMB respects Science in the evenings. I think Dr Foxwell visits the program each year. You're not too far from the campus. Try calling them and asking to speak with the admissions folks. Keep in touch with them if you can. The worse thing they can say is "no".

Ok. I'm done.

Just stumbled onto this post. The similarity to my story and what I’m doing now to get into med school is EERILY similar. I’m in SIE program now actually…

Guess you can message me if you want to ask any questions/still check this thread!!

I’m in the same boat as you! I have around a 2.5 or so. It’s inspiring to see your enthusiasm and optimism toward your end goal. I have about a year of undergrad left so I’m debating on what to do since while my grades have improved they aren’t all A’s. But a post-bacc in my case as well may be necessary. Best of luck to you in this roller coaster journey

I’m with you. My gpa (from 10 years ago) is just under 2.5. I’m taking Gen Chem I right now, fighting to bring my high-B up to an A. Wish I could find a night class program like yours!