Many career changes

Hi all,
I’ve been doing my best to catch up over the last month or so since I’ve decided to make a go for it.

I was wondering if anyone has heard of frequent or recent career changes being a concern for ADCOMs. I hate to post my life story and ask waddya think my chances are. There have been several similar topics, but I feel like my situation might be a fresh new take.

I’m half way through Physical Therapy School now. I didn’t think I could get into Medical School when I applied to go to PT school, and I thought I would be content and happy being a therapist. After doing a acute care clinical rotation in a CT ICU, I wont be happy unless I’m leading rounds and doing more for my patients than what I can do as a PT. And after doing some listening to the Old Premed Podcast I think I have a shot with the right MCAT score.

Recently a coworker I confided in said he would be concerned that I’m halfway through a doctorate and I’m already trying to change careers and that might look bad to the ADCOM. It’ll be my 4th career change in 10 years, Undergrad Mechanical Engineering, 4 Years as an Infantry Officer, and now half way through PT school.

I plan to finish my DPT and take the licensure exam. I’ve got a solid study plan from Next Step for the MCAT and will apply in this oncoming cycle if I meet my criteria for the MCAT score. I just had not considered to this point that finishing my DPT might not look great?

Hi! Dr. Gray covered your question during Session 163! We hope we answered your question about how your career changes may look to Admissions Committees! Feel free to post again in the forum if you have any other questions!

Thank you,
Team MSHQ

After hearing this story on Dr. Grays podcast, I knew it was time to make my first post. I was in your EXACT shoes a few years ago (PT school wise, that is). I was in my first semester of PT school, and I decided to take the plunge and apply to medical school. A local ADCOM member told me this “Why would you suffer three more years? If you are serious about this, drop out and apply.” I followed his advice, dropped out, and I will start medical school this Fall! Come to the dark side! Haha.