Skip to content

Oldest medical student

This topic contains 32 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by moosescape May 28, 2019 at 5:45 pm.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    kml1764
    Participant
    • DRFP Said:
    • pi1304 Said:
    Though it is important to note that for many residencies, FMGs often find themselves at a competitive disadvantage. Obviously, this is especially true for the more competitive fields.

Yes this can be true but for those who could care less about these, why is it so important? “the competitive disadvantage is not universal, if Caribbean grads are matching into decent residencies ( I know they do) then that means US students did not rank as high with that residency.

Step scores and then the interview for the residency is important, not just the step score or that yo are a US student in some cases, in fact at some programs Caribbean grads are the directors now or seniors in the program. Don’t rule out the influence decent good Docs from the Caribbean that has continued to change the attitudes of the professionals out there, ( I doubt US students will ever change )

IM, PEDs, OB, FP, are all primary and I always wanted FP, really I think there are a lot of Us older folk who are not interested in Residency of 7 to 8 years like Surgery. I know the 3 years I will do seems like a cake walk and I will do what I want to do! ( how much you will make has changed drastically I will post what the Orthopedic surgeon has told me about the new changes in reimbursement)

Research before committing you may be surprised that primary care can be more then you think.

Here is a link to SGU residency matches 2008

http://www.sgu.edu/ERD/2008/ResidPost.nsf/BYPGY?Op

AUC 2008

http://www.aucmed.edu/alumni/alumres.htm

ROSS 2008

http://www.rossu.edu/medical-school/files/ 2008Resi…

As you can see some really good residency matches and this is the “Big three” similar matches happen from all the schools.

Hey Bill,

I wasn’t able to open the AUC list, but both the SGU and Ross lists were quite impressive. Thanks!

Kris

Mary Renard
    Participant

(duplicate post deleted; Harapa, you are most welcome to ask for opinions in ONE thread but please do not post the same text in more than one thread, thank you!)

Aime
    Participant

Good, no great, advice vsrogers. Can you tell me what you studied at UCB and your impression of the school? I am going to begin the MCB program in the Spring.

nahani2
    Participant

I read about a husband and wife couple who went to medical school at UA Guadalajara Mexico; if I recall, both were in their early 60s. I wonder how they are doing?

I agree that life isn’t fair, and that medical schools do discriminate on the basis of age, regardless of the legality. Age discrimination is hard to prove, and they can use other excuses to weed people in addition to the applicants’ ages.

So what to do? It depends on what you really want, and how much sacrifice you are willing to make. The old adage, “How badly do you want it?” comes to mind. If you want it badly enough, and are willing to deal with the potential for rejection and repeated applications, and if you don’t mind the costs, then I would follow your heart and dreams.

BTW, I went to UCB as a undergrad. But I had a better memory back then; now it’s a struggle.

Adoc2be
    Participant
    • Aime Said:
    Good, no great, advice vsrogers. Can you tell me what you studied at UCB and your impression of the school? I am going to begin the MCB program in the Spring.

Aime, that post is over a year old. I don’t recall seeing that person around here lately.

jl lin
    Participant

This is a bit of a pet peeve. I know that some things that I will describe may be or seem the exception and not the rule. But I beg people to consider something important–that is wellness–biological age versus chronological age–which applies to patients as well as med students or pre-meds.

If a person has made a relatively long-term commitment to wellness–a sincere and consistent one–let me tell you they can practice and be highly productive way past 60’s. Same thing with folks that have certain surgeries–it all dependents on their overall wellness, biological age, and comorbidities. The reason there is this bias against those past 50’s and 60’s etc–at least in part–is b/c MOST people–especially AMERICANS–do NOT make a sincere and consistent commitment to wellness–especially early enough. Sure there are things that pop up for some folks–but even then, those that engage in good wellness practices still FAIR BETTER many times when they do hit those things that might crop up unexpectantly.

There are many people in Asian cultures and other cultures that are highly productive well past 60’s.

We have a limitation bias in this country and in the West b/c of the failure to get more research into various wellness practice and to have more folks make a commitment to sound, consistent wellness practices that can produce younger biological age.

It’s true that genetics may load the gun, but wellness and lifestyle pull the trigger more times than we are willing to admit. This nation in particular is NOT good with this–and our degree and rate of chronic illness bears this out–especially when we look at many Americans lifestyles–nutritionally and otherwise and see what happens when we bring them into other cultures.

Also, again I share that daily, proper exercise IS THE FOUNTAIN OF YOUTH–at least a good part of the time.

Please look at the whole person–and their overall lifestyle and other factors–NOT JUST chronological age. Age bias is even somewhat troublesome from a genetic perspective; for some folks show family histories of longevity with a fair amount of quality of life–but even then–many, many times, wellness, lifestyle, even the sound incorporation of CAM and nutrition practices are the “anti-pull-the-triger factors.”

Personally, I am generally against people retiring completely at any age. There are always ways to be productive for many folks–but that is another thing perpetuated in this country.

And I am not in these age-groups I speak of.

But every test I take (given, some of them are not yet broadly accepted in allopathic medicine) show that b/c of lifestyle changes and wellness practices, I am ten or more years biologically younger than my chronological age. Physicians have to ask my age or do the calculation in order to know it.

A mentor, an advanced practice nurse I know had healthy twins w/o complications at 53 years of age. And she keeps up with these energetic twins plus her teens just fine.

There are a good number of people that do benefit from consistent wellness practices.

And look at Demi Moore. People are catching on. There is a reason for the cougar rage that is currently going on.

But for me, I know that I could not do good health and productivity w/o following strong wellness practices and exercise and stress reduction exercises. And I have a serious autoimmune disorder for which I have not had ANY FLARES IN OVER FIVE YEARS by following these practices. They are NOT quackery. And that is why, though late to the party compared with others in CAM and other forms of medicine, people like Dr’s Oz and Roizen endorse them. They DO WORK when applied consistently–at least for many folks.

I never want to completely retire. I want to always have a productivity plan. Realistically I understand certain changes will come–or even say accidents, etc–but I can hold back many ill effects and limit them–save some major catastrophic scenarios, should I continue with sound wellness practices. And mobility and exercise is a huge part of that. Even many people with deficits can do certain beneficial exercises and engage in wellness practices on a daily basis.

Give the current wrangling over healthcare reform, I believe it will behoove people to know and engage more consistently in wellness practices.

And I am, obviously, still a believer in the many benefits of allopathic medicine.

Just a perspective that needs some serious, open-minded, and even a looking beyond evidence-based criteria in this country– and the consideration of of European and other studies. Let’s face it. In this country, it does matter as to who is funding what and why. And I am pro-Capitalism, free-markets, and a free republic. But I think we need some balance in our approach to healthcare. Sure severe traumas will still be severe traumas requiring sound, current allopathic practices. But people can be productive WELL past 60’s and even 70’s.

cookieknits
    Participant

I know this is an old post, but I am 54 years old, and I am going to give it a try. I figure I owe it to myself. I allowed myself to be talked out of it by my mother when I was 7. I was pushed into the wrong major and the wrong University when I was 18. I have raised two special needs kids, have a husband with brain cancer, who may or may not live to see me get my MD.

I have been told by several doctors that I have the makings of a brilliant diagnostician, and I feel God wants me in the public health field. If God wants it, He and I will make it happen.

With what I have already been through in my life, I look forward to what school has in store for me, and the challenges ahead.

My great grandmother was active and healthy until the day she died of a stroke at the age of 94. My mother is 76, and still teaches! My grandmother lived to be 89, but she was a smoker, and her heart was in poor shape. I’ve got the genes. I’ve got the will to work as long as I am able.

gonnif
    Participant

Last year the oldest newly matriculated osteopathic student was 56 years old. The oldest applicant was 72 years old

ms3stud
    Participant

You seem to have missed the point of the age discrimination laws. The older student must meet the same or better standards of the 20yo. It is qualifications that should matter.

There are many things that an MD can do, aside from clinical practice — but none of them can be done the same without the MD. The researcher MD has great advantages in medicine, for example.

Check the admissions processes of the various schools, though, and you will see that they are skewed for younger people. In my class, returning students (ie, older) were allotted less than a quarter of the admissions. Graduates and returning students had to take the MCAT, while students admitted probationally as undergraduates did not. Returning students were assigned three interviews, while all other applicants had only one interview.

The AAMC has special programs to encourage potential medical students and ready them for applications. All are limited to young students.

The chances of acceptance are already stacked against older students, regardless of rhetoric from schools. The laws exist for good reason, and qualifications are all that should matter.I know people who died before graduating and I know people who died soon after. They were all young. My grandmother lived to 97, with a mind that kept going stronger than alot of young people. She did not fit the norm of the bell curve, as the medical applicants reside at the end of a bell curve of learning. If an older student has the qualifications, that should be all that matters. In the end, that is required to graduate and to board, regardless of age. In the end, many physicians practice short years as clinicians and many follow other paths requiring the MD for success and satisfaction.

I have signed this as MS3, but I also have a JD.

ms3stud
    Participant

I agree you must take care of the gifts you are given. This will be reflected in your capacity, so again I say that qualifications should be the ONLY criteria, not age. Remember that when we speak of “most people” this is the big bell part of a bell curve. There will always be those on either side of the curve. Let’s not bias against those who are more fortunate and able to do more at a later age.

Satori
    Participant

I have one friend who is a geologist, and used to be a psychiatrist. The other friend is a computer programmer and used to be a family practice doc.

As far as letting qualifications be the criteria, that is hard because there are so many qualified applicants out there.

As far as NP and PA, they are good alternatives, but have their limitations. For example, I was considering PA, but my PA friends convinced me to go MD/DO because they realized that the international work that I would like to do typically requires an MD. Indeed, some international medical non-profits won’t accept any sort of midlevel (e.g. Doctors Without Borders is the best example of this).

As far as age is concerned, I believe that it is an uphill battle for us older folks, but only we should make the decision whether or not we should go for it. I recently went to a premedical conference, and spoke to many admissions people; all of them said to forget about age and just apply — and see what happens.

TicDocDoh
    Participant

Holy thread resurrection batman!

gonnif
    Participant
    • TicDocDoh Said:
    Holy thread resurrection batman!

seems appropriate that an old thread is resurrected to discuss the oldest medical student. I mean ’tis the season of miracles. Wait that’s the other holiday isn’t it?

Kate429
    Participant

Well, it depends, Richard. I mean, isn’t Hanukkah celebrating the miracle of the lamp in the temple burning for 10 nights when there was only enough oil for 1? It lasted much longer than anyone thought possible…which seem very appropriate to this thread

Kate

Katherine "Licia" Hedian
    Graduated from West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine
    Family Medicine DO - finished residency at 60.

Satori
    Participant

The oil supposedly burned for 8 days, — until new oil could be readied. That’s why the Menorah has nine candle holders, the central shamash is to hold the candle used to light the other eight candles. Hanukkah always starts on 25 Kislev, which this year falls on Wednesday, December 21.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.