Oldest medical student

This topic contains 32 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by moosescape May 28, 2019 at 5:45 pm.

Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Kate429
    Participant

Thanks, datsa! Don’t know why I thought it was 10 days

Kate

Katherine "Licia" Hedian
    Graduated from West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine
    Family Medicine DO - finished residency at 60.

jl lin
    Participant

Yeah for miracles.

In response to ms3stud:

Laws can’t protect people from bias. They may try, but there are absolute limitations–unless we totally become Orwellian, with thought police and the like. . .

People have to come to actually see the limitations and problems in their bias as a basis for reasoning. People look at stats and see the 80 year old surgical patient, and they blow off truly looking at them on the whole of what is really going on with them. Again, I have recovered 70 and 80 year old folks post-cardiac surgery that recovered much better and more quickly than 30 or 40 year olds with co-morbidities like DM, etc.

(BTW people had better start taking better care of themselves in terms of wellness, b/c retirement is going to be much further down the road from now on.)

So the doc or nurse looking at the demo. stats is necessary, but then it all has to be put together with the whole of the individual.

I do agree with the other poster as they shared that age bias is a reality. That has to do with people–and educated people mind you–like those on adcoms–that have limited their thought processes to certain biases.

Someone violates a law, well, you have to prove that they did so. Now there are a 1000 or more ways justify why a candidate was passed over for something other than his/her age. Talk about an uphill battle. . .proving age discrimination would be tough, especially in the medical school situation, given the serious competition for med school entrance that already exits.

I was originally talking about encouraging people, educated people in particular, in making a paradigm shift in their thinking. So, it would apply to medical school applicants as well as management of older patients. It’s about looking at the individual.

Fighting against ageism in our culture is a tough war. And as the economy tightens, it will continue to be more of a challenge. It shouldn’t be a matter of placing greater value on people based on their date of birth; but as the number of young college grads fighting for jobs while carrying big student loans grows, so too will the resentment and bias against those that are older as they compete with them for positions.

The genuine notion of valuing a person on her/his own individuality, regardless of the demographic factors, almost seems to smack against human nature; and sociological forces seems to continue to move against this kind of thinking.

What the physician or nurse or the adcom member may be overlooking is that the individual under evaluation for whatever cannot control her/his birthday anymore than any one of them can. They don’t stop and try to put themselves in the shoes of the one being evaluated. All the while, they too are getting older faster than they realize. So, they too will eventually (although sooner than they realize) be on the other side of things, being evaluated for something or other with age-bias used against them.

moosescape
    Participant

I have not had time to read all the threads of this post but thought I might add my information. I just completed my first block exams of my first semester at Saba University School of Medicine and I also turned 63 on the day of my first blocks. As I understand it, Dr. Atomic Leow may have been the oldest medical school graduate at 66; if my health holds I will break that record as I expect the graduate at 67. My interest is pathology as I have spent my career as a microscopist. I recognize that I am much older than my other students but I have many years to give the profession, I have no plan to retire.

Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.