Online Pas/Fail BS Degree and LOR from Community College

Hello Everyone,

Here is a little background. I am 30 years old and have a degree in Marketing Management. This degree is regionally accredited, but it is competency based, which means that the grading was pass/fail and if you pass you get an automatic 3.0 GPA. I completed this degree in 2015 and decide to pursue the Pre-med path in January of 2017. During the last 2 years I have taken Gen Chem, Bio, and Physics at a community college, and O-Chem and Biochem (online) at a 4 year university. I have a 3.88 GPA with my prerequisite course work, but this will not move the needle much for my overall GPA. I have over 100 hours volunteering/clinical experience at a free clinic (will continue), I have over 40 hours shadowing (will continue), and I have not done, nor do I plan to do research.

I have 2 questions.

1. Should I be worried about the fact that my degree was acquired online and that it was a competency based/pass or fail system?

2. I have only take one class in person at a 4 year university (O-Chem). I have gotten a LOR from this professor. What should I do for the other LOR’s? Should I just get letters from my CC professors? Or should I take another class at a 4 year college just for the LOR?

I am currently preparing to take the MCAT in April and I need to work to work full time in prep for the birth of our first child in May.

I appreciate any and all thoughts.

Thanks,

Westney

Hi!! Dr.Gray covered your question during Session 166! We hope we answered your question regarding your competency-based degree and LORs! If you have any other questions please feel free to post in the forums again!

Thanks,
Team MSHQ