Post Bac Classes - magic formula to nailing it?

Hi all,

I finally made my way to the forum! Been following Dr. Gray’s podcasts for quite some time but don’t think I heard this specific question being addressed yet.

I am a non-trad who graduated with BS back in 2012 with major in biochemistry and 3 science minors. Since then, I been involved in basic, transnational, and clinical research. My original plan was to pursue PhD, but due to series of fortunate events, I fell in love with medicine and now am on a journey to become a different doctor…an MD. I am currently working full time as CRC, while volunteering both in a hospital and community clinic.

I did a free evaluation from the Princeton Medical Admission Consulting, and was told that I will need to get a MS or complete a post bac program to be a competitive applicant, since I been out of school for so long. My undergrad cGPA was 3.69 and science GPA was 3.54. I took MCAT without much studying and got 500. Planning on retaking it while hitting books hard around Feb/March of 2020. Feel confident I can score 508 or above.

I really don’t want to go back into debt or prolong my pre-med journey, so I started taking classes (online for right now, but looking to potentially squeezing few in person next semester) at the University from which I graduated. My questions:

• Does taking one class per semester (while working, studying for MCATS, and doing all other pre-med things) would look bad on post-bac transcript?

• Should I take higher science level classes that I haven’t taken during my undergrad OR should I repeat my pre-reqs on which I got lower grades. (Had 1 C+ for OrgoI, all others were Bs and As).

• For how long is it recommended to take post bac classes AND is there a good number at which I should stop?

Thanks!

C.

1 Like

They want to see whether you can hack it - don’t slow boat, one at a time it if you can. A friend of mine did this and got in and found herself completely overwhelmed in medical school. The Premed (PostBac) crunch is itself training for what you’ll be getting into in medical school…

Take the prerequisites and nail them! Add electives as you’re interested and able.

Good luck!