Practicing Registered Dietitian Applying as International Student

Hi everyone,

I’m a 25 year old registered dietitian who graduated with Master’s in 2017. It didn’t take me long to realize the limitation of nutrition in providing comprehensive care to patients so I have recently decided to apply to medical school.

My biggest question right now is: would applying as an international student + nontrad = 0 chance of getting in? Should I even try? Would I have a better chance for DO vs. MD?

My second question is whether most schools that accepting international students would consider me. Some basic information about myself:

• GPA: 3.88 undergrad and 3.85 from grad school
  • EC: practicing RD in critical care settings for 1 year, many MD shadowing hours as a nutrition intern during 2 years of RD training but no other “unpaid/volunteer” experience
  • Pre-reqs:2 semesters bio, 2 semesters gen chem, 1 semester gen physics, 2 semesters biochem (1 at graduate level)
  • MCAT: plan to take it by May 2019

Final question (if I had even the slightest chance of getting in): Do I have to take 2 semesters of organic chem and additional 1 semester of physics? Are there any alternatives since I have 1 semester of graduate-level biochem?

Thank you all for your time,

Hi! Dr. Gray covered this on the podcast in Session #153! We hope we answered all your questions about applying as an international student, as well as your other questions. If you have any other questions please feel free to post in the forum again.

Thank you,
Team MSHQ