providing for family while in medical school

Hey everyone i am 23 years old, married, and about to have my first child in February. I am about to finish my first year of undergraduate education on this journey to becoming a physician. I am trying to plan ahead for my future in medical school, and trying to analyze what my life will be like. I am concerned about being able to provide for my family once in medical school and was wondering if anyone had any ideas or strategies they used to enjoy medical school and still be a financial benefit to their families.

Any guidance would be appreciated, thanks, collin.

You need to remember that you job is being a medical student. You will be given loans to cover your cost of attendance but the school also expects that your spouse will provide. For example, health insurance that is paid for by your tuition is only for you and not for your family unless you pay monthly.

That being said, you will need to learn to live on a very tight budget. One that would require a lot of sacrifice in NOT buying things. I went through medical school with 3 kids through years 1-3 and then 4 during my 4th year. A lot of creative things went into keeping our family going. Including applying to assistance programs such as WIC, Medicaid, electricity, etc. But I also went to my family for help. My wife worked from home.

But you are thinking WAY TOO FAR AHEAD. you need to maintain your focus on your undergraduate work and get into medical school first. That is your first priority.

Thanks Dr.Gabelerman I appreciate the feedback and sharing of your story with me. I will work on being more focused on the here and now.

Hi! This question was covered during Old Premeds Session 164! We hope we answered your questions on how to provide for your family as a premed! If you have any other questions, please feel free to post in the forum again!

Thank you,
Team MSHQ