Western University of Health Sciences Secondary Essay Prompts
(If you have updated prompts, please submit them at updatesecondaries.com)
Prompts have been updated April 2023. (Older essays, if available are below)
- What experience observing a DO solidified your desire/ambition to become an osteopathic physician? (This could be a formal shadowing experience (one-on-one with a physician), scribing, observing your own physician, friend, or family member who is a DO).
- If you have not had the opportunity to shadow/observe a DO why is it important to you to become an osteopathic physician?
- If you have not had an opportunity shadow/observe a physician, please explain the extenuating circumstances that prevented you from doing so.
- Are you providing a letter of recommendation from a physician? (Yes/No)
- What was your most memorable community service activity and how did your activity benefit the community?
- How does the COMP Mission statement align with your values?
- Why do you want to attend COMP?
- What does diversity, equity, and inclusion mean to you and why are they important?
Have you participated in research? (yes/no)
If yes, briefly describe your role and what skills you gained from participation in the research.
Please provide us with the link to the publication or abstract if possible.
Did you contribute to the published work as an author/coauthor? (yes/no)
- Briefly discuss any extenuating circumstances which you feel are pertinent to your application (poor grades, course withdrawals, lapse in your education, etc.).
- Are you a transfer applicant? (yes/no)
Primary Deadline: February 1, 2021
Secondary Deadline: Unknown (Try to turn your secondaries around within two weeks after receiving)
Secondary Fee: $65
FAP Waiver: Full Fee Waived
CASPer Required: Yes
VITA Required: No
Screens Applications: Yes
Accepts Application Updates:
- While shadowing a physician, what did the experience do to solidify your desire / ambition to become an osteopathic physician?
- What is your specific interest in the osteopathic medicine program at COMP northwest? | How to Answer Secondary Prompts About Specialties
- Explain why the opportunity to study and participate in clinical experiences in the Pacific Northwest appeals to you? | How to Answer Secondary Prompts about “Why Us”
- Describe why you see yourself as a great “fit” for our school? | How to Write About How You Fit a Medical School’s Mission
- Briefly discuss any extenuating circumstances which you feel are pertinent to your application (poor grades, course withdrawals, lapses in your education, etc). | How to Discuss Breaks in Your Education in Secondary Essays | How to Write About Red Flags in Your Secondary Essays
Former Prompts (before 23-24 cycle)
- Write a one page, total, essay addressing the following question:
a. Describe personal experiences that have shaped your desire to attend an osteopathic medical school whose mission focuses on rural and/or medically underserved populations.