Is All Hope For Medical School Lost?

Hello Dr. Gray,

I am currently a 4th year nontraditional premed student majoring in Biology and minoring in Public Health at a 4 year university. I have been listening to your podcasts for over a year now and I am extremely grateful for the guidance you have been able to provide for others. My undergrad experience has been a bit rocky to say the least. After my freshman and sophomore year, I ended with pretty average grades. It was during my junior year that my GPA had declined severely due to my poor performance in school. I was taking a lot of the harder and higher level classes all at once, while trying to manage being involved in extracurriculars and working part time and a multitude of things I was dealing with all at once. This backfired as I did not pass some classes and had to retake them, which put me behind on being on track for graduation. I currently have a 2.0 cumulative GPA and will be continuing for a 5th year at my university to finish all of my major and minor requirements.

At the beginning of this semester, I started my minor in Public Health which I am LOVING so far. I am pushing myself really hard this semester to succeed academically and have my GPA rise from here on out and am hoping to pursue an Master in Public Health degree after undergrad. After pursuing the MPH, I am hoping to apply to medical school. Does this at all seem realistic to you? Should I pursue other options such as a postbac or employment or maybe a Master of Science degree? But most importantly, is all hope for medical school lost? I’d love to hear any feedback you have. Thanks so much. My personal pronouns are she/her/hers.