University of Nevada, Reno Secondary Essay Prompts
(If you have updated prompts, please submit them at updatesecondaries.com)
Prompts have been updated November 2023. (Older essays, if available are below)
- Please share why you want to pursue your medical education at the University of Nevada, Reno School of Medicine; describe any connections to Northern Nevada communities; and how you are prepared to contribute to UNR Med’s vision of a Healthy Nevada. (300 words)
- Describe a time when you were part of a team that was struggling to meet objectives. How did you react? What would you do differently? What did you take away from this experience that will influence your approach to working on a team in the future? (300 words)
- Reflect on and describe an experience where you provided care or service to individuals from populations that commonly experience health care disparities. Discuss what you learned about the socio-cultural or economic factors that affect underserved populations and describe how your interactions with these individuals motivated or prepared you for a future in medicine. (300 words)
- Describe a time when you faced a significant life crisis or an academic, personal, or professional failure. How did you respond, what did you learn, and how did the experience influence your future actions? (300 words)
- Please share an example of how you have used critical thinking and communication skills to develop a creative or innovative solution to a challenging problem. (300 words)
- (Optional) You are invited to provide a brief statement regarding anything not previously addressed or disclosed in your application that you would like considered during the review of your application. If you are a re-applicant to UNR Med, we encourage you to outline any significant changes or new experiences from your previous application. (500 words)
Primary Deadline: Usually around Oct 1st
Secondary Deadline: Usually around Oct 17th
Secondary Fee: $75
FAP Waiver: Full Fee Waived
Casper Required: Yes
PREview Required: No
Screens Applications: Yes
Accepts Application Updates: Yes Post Interview/Email
University of Nevada, Reno School of Medicine Mission:
Improving the health and well-being of all Nevadans and their communities through excellence in:
- student education and postgraduate training that produces global leaders in medicine;
- clinical care, safety and innovation;
- research with local, national and global impact;
- an institutional culture of diversity and inclusion.
University of Nevada, Reno School of Medicine Vision:
A Healthy Nevada
University of Nevada, Reno School of Medicine Values:
- Compassion: We are kind and caring towards our patients and each other. We are committed to aid those who are sick, understand their experience and create a positive, healing environment.
- Diversity: We value and support diversity. We are committed to inclusive and consistent practices toward our patients and each other.
- Excellence: We work toward improvement with an expectation of excellence in professional and organizational standards.
- Integrity: We act in an ethical, honest and responsible manner. We hold ourselves accountable to act with integrity.
- Respect: We practice fairness, and communicate appropriately and respectfully.
- Safety: We provide a safe environment free of threats and danger.
- Service: We provide excellent service and meet the needs of all we serve. We remove barriers to access.
- Stewardship: We embody the responsible planning and management of resources.
- The State of Nevada faces a challenge in meeting the medical needs of some patients from diverse backgrounds; such as non-English speaking patients, patients from different races or ethnicities, or patients from the LGBTQ community. Please briefly describe the disparity being faced by one of these groups and respond to the following:
- How would you personally contribute to meeting challenges in serving patients from diverse backgrounds?
- How could you contribute to institutional efforts to alleviate these health disparities (350 words or less)?
How to Write About Diversity in Your Secondary Essays
- Indicate any paid or volunteer work experience, activities, or duties and the amount of time spent which you feel to be relevant to the study of medicine (NOTE: Include dates and hours).
- Is there anything else you would like to tell us?
- Describe your primary motivation for applying to UNR Med, discuss any important connections or motives for pursuing your medical education in Northern Nevada, and share how you anticipate contributing to UNR Med’s mission and our vision of a Healthy Nevada. (300 words)
- Reflect on an experience when you contributed to the success of a team. Describe how the skills, attributes, and strengths exhibited during this experience have prepared you to contribute to an inclusive and collaborative learning environment at UNR Med. (300 words)
- Describe a time when you encountered a challenge that required you to use your critical thinking and communication skills to develop a creative or innovative solution. Discuss the successes or failures of your response, and what you may or may not do in the future, in a similar situation. (300 words)
- Nevada, like many states, faces healthcare challenges that include health disparities among our underserved and vulnerable populations. Describe a service or life experience where you directly interacted with individuals from these groups, discuss what you learned from the experience, and describe how the experience has prepared you to be a medical student. (300 words)
- Describe a time when you faced a significant life crisis, a personal struggle, or an academic or professional failure. How did you respond, what did you learn, and how did the experience influence your future actions? (300 words)
- You are invited to provide a brief statement regarding anything not previously addressed or disclosed in your application that you would like considered during the review of your application. (500 words)