University of Nevada, Reno Secondary Essay Prompts
(If you have updated prompts, please submit them at updatesecondaries.com)
These prompts are from the 2021 Application Cycle. (Older essays, if available are below)
All 300 words
- Describe your primary motivation for applying to UNR Med, your most important connection(s) to the state of Nevada and any plans for using your career in medicine to support our vision of a healthy Nevada. | How to Answer Secondary Prompts about “Why Us” | How to Write About How You Fit a Medical School’s Mission
- Describe a time when you were faced with a significant life crisis, a personal struggle, or an academic or professional failure. How did you respond and how did your experience impact your future actions. | How to Write About Your Obstacles, Challenges, and Problems in your Secondary Essays | How to Write About Red Flags in Your Secondary Essays
- Nevada faces health care challenges that include racial and ethnic health disparities, a shortage of physicians in our rural communities, and inadequate medical services for our LGBTQ community and for non-English speakers. Describe how your prior experiences have prepared you to deliver care to underserved patients. | How To Answer Secondary Prompts About Current Challenges in Health Care
- Describe and share what you learned from an experience providing direct patient care.
Primary Deadline: October 1, 2020
Secondary Deadline: Unknown (Try to turn your secondaries around within two weeks after receiving)
Secondary Fee: $75
FAP Waiver: Full Fee Waived
CASPer Required: Yes
VITA Required: Yes
Screens Applications: Yes
Accepts Application Updates: Yes Post Interview/Email
University of Nevada, Reno School of Medicine Mission:
Improving the health and well-being of all Nevadans and their communities through excellence in:
- student education and postgraduate training that produces global leaders in medicine;
- clinical care, safety and innovation;
- research with local, national and global impact;
- an institutional culture of diversity and inclusion.
University of Nevada, Reno School of Medicine Vision:
A Healthy Nevada
University of Nevada, Reno School of Medicine Values:
- Compassion: We are kind and caring towards our patients and each other. We are committed to aid those who are sick, understand their experience and create a positive, healing environment.
- Diversity: We value and support diversity. We are committed to inclusive and consistent practices toward our patients and each other.
- Excellence: We work toward improvement with an expectation of excellence in professional and organizational standards.
- Integrity: We act in an ethical, honest and responsible manner. We hold ourselves accountable to act with integrity.
- Respect: We practice fairness, and communicate appropriately and respectfully.
- Safety: We provide a safe environment free of threats and danger.
- Service: We provide excellent service and meet the needs of all we serve. We remove barriers to access.
- Stewardship: We embody the responsible planning and management of resources.
- The State of Nevada faces a challenge in meeting the medical needs of some patients from diverse backgrounds; such as non-English speaking patients, patients from different races or ethnicities, or patients from the LGBTQ community. Please briefly describe the disparity being faced by one of these groups and respond to the following:
- How would you personally contribute to meeting challenges in serving patients from diverse backgrounds?
- How could you contribute to institutional efforts to alleviate these health disparities (350 words or less)?
How to Write About Diversity in Your Secondary Essays
- Indicate any paid or volunteer work experience, activities, or duties and the amount of time spent which you feel to be relevant to the study of medicine (NOTE: Include dates and hours).
- Is there anything else you would like to tell us?
5 MOST POPULAR PODCASTS
DOWNLOAD FREE - Crush the MCAT with our MCAT Secrets eBook