Join our survey and fill out our 2015 survey in order to give us valuable information about you and how we can better serve you.
I recently did a webinar with Blueprint MCAT (formerly Next Step Test Prep) about selecting a medical school and what to use to help you select medical schools.
The average number of schools applied to is 15. But that’s just half the story (or even a third of a story) depending on the application services you use between DO, MD, and Texas applications. Looking at AMCAS application service for MD schools, they state that the average number of schools selected per application is 15 and that’s just through the AMCAS application.
So if you’re applying to DO schools (AACOMAS), MD schools, and Texas schools, where does that actually put you?
An iTunes Milestone
But before that, the MSHQ podcast has yet achieved another milestone. To date, we have hit the 300 ratings in the U.S. iTunes Store. Thank you guys!
Here are the highlights of this episode:
How NOT to go about choosing a medical school:
- Do not use the U.S. News and World Reports as a starting point for selecting medical schools.
- Tweet: “Don’t go to a great medical school. Go to a medical school that will make you great!” – @medicalschoolhq #premed #medschool
- The median MCAT Total Score has no bearing on whether a medical school is good or not. (same with median undergradate GPA)
The U.S. News and World Reports
- It offers subjective information that doesn’t mean much. It doesn’t tell the quality of school but how much research is going on or money they’re bringing in
- It only tells the ability of the students they’re accepting to take the MCAT and how well they did on the MCAT.
- Do not let average GPA, average MCAT score determine what schools you’ll apply to or not.
What you need to do:
- What school is going to make you great?
- Where are you going to thrive?
- Two books that should be your main driving factors in choosing your medical school:
Look at other things that will make your medical school experience great for you.
- Proximity to family and friends
- Ability to travel other places
- Class size
- Research available
- Access to residencies or residency directors.
Links and Other Resources
Free MCAT Gift: Free 30+ page guide with tips to help you maximize your MCAT score and which includes discount codes for MCAT prep as well.
Visit our partner magazine, www.premedlife.com to learn more about awesome premed information. Check out their May/June 2015 issue featuring Ryan.
Blueprint MCAT (formerly Next Step Test Prep): Get one-on-one tutoring for the MCAT and maximize your score. Get discount off their tutoring program when you mention that you heard about this on the podcast or through the MSHQ website.
Listen to our podcast for free at iTunes: medicalschoolhq.net/itunes and leave us a review there!
Get us free on your device. Subscribe and listen to new episodes each week. Visit www.medicalschoolhq.net/listen
Hang out with us over at medicalschoolhq.net/group. Click join and we’ll add you up to our private Facebook group. Share your successes and miseries with the rest of us.
Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or connect with me on Twitter @medicalschoolhq