In today's episode, Ryan talks with Ben Azevedo, otherwise known as Bow Tie Ben, where he explains why he has such a nickname. Ben is a 4th year medical student who runs a bow tie business, New Orleans Bow Ties, a perfect example of what this show has been preaching about that you need to give yourself a break outside of medical school.
Today, he shares with us his path to medical school and how his business has helped him during medical school.
Here are the highlights of the conversation with Bow Tie Ben:
Ben's path to medical school:
- Starting the premed path a little late
- Taking the MCAT after graduating from UC Berkeley
- Spending a year of service at a children's hospital in Cambodia
Ben's application process:
- Writing his personal statement on his Palm Pilot, sitting at McDonald's in Bali
- His years between college and med school were dedicated to applying to med school
Choosing the medical schools to apply to:
- Location (interesting culture and need for service)
- Applying to a med school in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina
- Being in medical school feeling all fired up
How the Bow Tie Ben was conceived:
- Coming to New Orleans and seeing “real” bow ties
- Diving into the city's culture and pursuing his love for art
- Feeling the need for something creative to work on
- Making a bow tie out of a Thai silk using his mom's sewing machine
How the arts has helped him get through medical school:
- Activating the right side of his brain
- Putting things in perspective to pull himself out of studying and seeing a brighter side of life
- Meeting different kinds of people he wouldn't have otherwise met
The future of his business:
- Knowing things will change once he starts residency
- Figuring out what he's going to do with it
Some pieces of advice for premed students:
Use that energy. Every student has it. It can take you a long way.
Links and Other Resources:
If you need any help with the medical school interview, go to medschoolinterviewbook.com. Sign up and you will receive parts of the book so you can help shape the future of the book. This book will include over 500 questions that may be asked during interview day as well as real-life questions, answers, and feedback from all of the mock interviews Ryan has been doing with students.
Are you a nontraditional student? Go check out oldpremeds.org.
Free MCAT Gift: Free 30+ page guide with tips to help you maximize your MCAT score and which includes discount codes for MCAT prep as well.
Hang out with us over at medicalschoolhq.net/group. Click join and we'll add you up to our private Facebook group. Share your successes and miseries with the rest of us.
Check out our partner magazine, www.premedlife.com to learn more about awesome premed information.
Next Step Test Prep: Get one-on-one tutoring for the MCAT and maximize your score. Get $50 off their tutoring program when you mention that you heard about this on the podcast or through the MSHQ website. Check out their 10-full length practice tests and save 10% using the code “MSHQ”.
Listen to our podcast for free at iTunes: medicalschoolhq.net/itunes and leave us a review there!
Email Ryan at email@example.com or connect with him on Twitter @medicalschoolhq
Subscribe for Free
Listen to Other Episodes
Leave us a Review and Rating!
Just like Yelp reviews or IMDB ratings help you choose your next restaurant or movie, leaving a 5 star rating and/or a written review is very valuable to The Premed Years. It allows us to be able to share our information with more people than ever before.
I am so incredibly thankful to those who have recently gone into our listing in iTunes to provide a five start rating and a written review of The Premed Years.
Subscribe and Download
Android/Mac/Windows – You can download DoubleTwist and use that to manage all of our past and future episodes
Please help us spread the word!
If you like the show, will you please take a moment to leave a comment on iTunes? This really helps us get the word out!
Crush the MCAT with our
MCAT Secrets eBook
DOWNLOAD FREE - Crush the MCAT with our MCAT Secrets eBook