What is a MATCH?
- How you as a medical student gets selected to a residency you applied to
- You go through similar application process and they look at your Board Scores
- With MATCH, you have some time to create a rank list and you rank to what programs (however many) are best suited for you.
- A computer algorithm then takes the rank list from residency programs and matches it to the rank list from all the applicants. The computer then generates the results according to your match.
- A couple days later, you get the envelopes and you find out where you matched.
- It’s a “dual” recruitment, they are recruiting you and you are recruiting them. You get to wine and dine with them and let them get to know you. You also need to rank them as they need to rank you.
- Strict rules about the process: You’re not allowed to solicit information from the program and the programs are not allowed to solicit information from you.
Did you know that…
The people that created this algorithm won the Nobel Prize in Economics for this.
What happens if you didn’t match?
You will find it a couple days before the regular match and you have to SCRAMBLE into an open spot where you will go into a website and apply for programs that are still open. Ask assistance from your advisers and mentors to help you out.
What the hosts think…
Ryan thinks it’s cruel. Allison thinks it’s ingenious.
Out of thousands of medical students in the country and thousands of residency programs in all different medical specialties, somebody has to figure out how to get the applicants into the programs that they want most. And for the most part, it is successful.
Different presentations vary from school to school:
- Some schools open the letter together, usually at noon where where a lot of schools across the country throw a party (and they open the letters together)
- Other schools make you stand in front of the stage and announce where you matched publicly.
The algorithm puts both you and your spouse or partner together in a way that they take your rank list and your partner’s rank list and match them together line by line.
SCRAMBLE is now being called SOAP
SOAP stands for Supplemental Offer and Acceptance Program
So what happens?
On a Monday, you get an email that says either “Congratulations! You’ve matched.” or “Sorry about your luck you haven’t matched.”
So students who did not match at noon have access to a website that shows them all of the unfilled spots so they could start applying to the spots a couple hours later. It’s “free for all” from there.
The students that matched will wait till Friday noon and everybody opens their letters.
If you apply to a medical school and get an interview with them and it’s the only school that you’re accepted to and you’re upset? Don’t apply to that school. And the same goes for residency.
Links and Other Resources
- Free MCAT Gift: Free 30+ page guide with tips to help you maximize your MCAT score.
- Next Step Test Prep: Get one-on-one tutoring for the MCAT and maximize your score. Ryan is going to be part of the panel of physicians for Next Step Test Prep.
- Get us free on your device. Subscribe and listen to new episodes each week. Visit www.medicalschoolhq.net/listen
- Hang out with us over at medicalschoolhq.net/group. Click join and we’ll add you up to our private Facebook group. Share your successes and miseries with the rest of us.
- Listen to our podcast for free at iTunes: medicalschoolhq.net/itunes and leave us a review there!
- Email me at [email protected] or connect with me on Twitter @medicalschoolhq
Subscribe for Free
Listen to Other Episodes
Leave us a Review and Rating!
Just like Yelp reviews or IMDB ratings help you choose your next restaurant or movie, leaving a 5 star rating and/or a written review is very valuable to The Premed Years. It allows us to be able to share our information with more people than ever before.
I am so incredibly thankful to those who have recently gone into our listing in iTunes to provide a five start rating and a written review of The Premed Years.
Subscribe and Download
Android/Mac/Windows – You can download DoubleTwist and use that to manage all of our past and future episodes
Please help us spread the word!
If you like the show, will you please take a moment to leave a comment on iTunes? This really helps us get the word out!
DOWNLOAD FREE - Crush the MCAT with our MCAT Secrets eBook