In this episode, we talk about some tips for you to consider when submitting your medical school applications.
If you’re applying to medical school soon, first just take a deep breath. You don’t need to submit your application on the first day.
9 Med School Application Tips
1. Apply early.
- The school’s deadline for submission should not be your goal date.
- Apply in June or July if possible.
- Submitting late is not an option; if you do, better apply next year.
2. Gather all the information needed before getting started.
What are the things you need?
- Transcripts from every school you’ve been to
- A list of extracurricular activities you’ve done
- A list of your advisors/mentors/supervisors and their contact information
- Take note of how many hours you spent for a particular activity, what you did there, and how it affected you
- Keep a log of everything you’re doing
- List of medical schools you’re applying to
3. Know how many med schools you’re applying to.
- Don’t apply to a ton of schools due to the high cost; however, apply to enough number of schools to increase your chances of getting in
4. Get your letter writers to write letters now.
- Who’s writing all your letters? Know more about them.
- You can pick what letter goes to what school
5. Proofread everything.
- Take note of some weird formatting issues
- Have other people proofread your application
6. Make sure to follow proper protocols (like when requesting transcripts).
- This is a key med school application tip. Getting delayed with your transcripts is a common problem that holds up med school applications.
- Be sure to follow the instructions.
7. Use an appropriate email.
- Your email address should be professional-looking.
- Use your personal email instead of your work email.
8. Only list activities that matter and have meaning to you.
Include activities that are/have:
- Major impact
- Changes your outlook to make you grow
9. Your personal statement can make or break your application.
- Take your time and a lot of reiterations
- Have a physician read it
- Have someone read it for grammar and another one for content
Bonus med school application tip: Know your timeline.
- When should each thing be submitted?
Links and Other Resources:
- Free MCAT Gift: Free 30+ page guide with tips to help you maximize your MCAT score and which includes discount codes for MCAT prep as well.
- Check out jointheacademy.net because we may be opening up soon!
- Get us free on your device. Subscribe and listen to new episodes each week. Visit www.medicalschoolhq.net/listen
- Listen to our podcast for free at iTunes: medicalschoolhq.net/itunes and leave us a review there!
DOWNLOAD FREE - Crush the MCAT with our MCAT Secrets eBook