Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts
In this episode, I talk with an orthopedic surgery resident, Dr. Daniel Paull. He is the author of So You Got into Medical School… Now What? A Guide to Preparing for the Next Four Years.
I brought him on the show to talk about his book and how it might help you as a premed and eventually as a medical student. Daniel talks about the challenges he met while applying for medical school, as well as the joys of really pursuing his passion.
Listen to this podcast episode with the player above, or keep reading for the highlights and takeaway points.
The aha! moment when Daniel realized his calling to become a doctor
- Coming from a family of engineers
- Being injured and getting exposed to orthopedics
On writing your personal statement…
- Tell the truth.
- Be sincere about why you want to be a doctor
Steps he took to prepare for medical school:
- Focusing on getting good grades
- Doing premed at NYU
- Getting a major in physics just because he really liked it
- Applied twice to get into medical school
What steps did he take to finally get into medical school?
- He tweaked his personal statement
- Did more extracurricular activities
- Finally got into medical school at the University of Miami
Course correction strategies he took to get better grades:
- Paying attention to details more
- Preparing more in advance for things
- Going to lecture, taking notes, and reviewing them
What kept him motivated:
- Not worrying too much
- The need to learn and study for Step 1
What was Daniel’s experience of Step 1?
- Spaced repetition learning with flashcards
Applying to medical school vs. applying to orthopedic surgery residencies
- Why Daniel found it easier to apply to residency than medical school.
[Related episode: Orthopedic Surgery Match Data Deep Dive.]
On his book, So You Got into Medical School… Now What?
- This book is for those who want to make the transition to medical school easier.
- For premeds, this book will give them a better idea of what medical school is really like.
Some pieces of advice for premed students:
- People will help you get through medical school.
- It does get better as time goes on.
Links and Other Resources
- Check out Daniel’s book on Amazon.
- Related episode: What Do the First Two Years of Medical School Look Like?
- Related episode: Welcome to Your 3rd Year of Medical School.
- Need MCAT Prep? Save on tutoring, classes, and full-length practice tests by using promo code “MSHQ”
for 10% off Next Step full-length practice tests or “MSHQTOC” for $50 off MCAT tutoring or the Next Step MCAT Course at Blueprint MCAT (formerly Next Step Test Prep)!
Listen to Other Episodes
[smart_podcast_player url=”https://medicalschoolhq.libsyn.com/rss” color=”004075″ show_name=”The Premed Years” ]