Hackensack Meridian at Seton Hall University Secondary Essay Prompts
(If you have updated prompts, please submit them at updatesecondaries.com)
Prompts have been updated June 2023. (Older essays, if available are below)
- Why are you interested in attending the Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine? (500 words)
- Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine values social justice and diversity in all its forms. Describe a circumstance where you sought to learn about a culture, group or idea different than your own and how that impacted you. (500 words)
- Describe your experience with the field of medicine (or a related field) that has prepared you for advanced study in this area. Specifically, how have your life experiences prepared you to pursue a degree in medicine, including coursework, clinical work, experiences in overcoming adversity, work opportunity, volunteer activities, and/or research experiences? (500 words)
- Have you ever been convicted of any crime or offense, whether State or Federal, including offenses categorized as misdemeanors, high misdemeanors, or felonies? You should include convictions under any circumstances such as, but not limited to, a plea of guilty, Non Vult, Nolo Contendere, No Contest, etc., or a finding by a judge or jury. You do not need to include convictions that were overturned on appeal. (500 words)
Primary Deadline: Usually around Dec 1st
Secondary Deadline: Usually around Dec 8th
Secondary Fee: $80
FAP Waiver: Yes
Casper Required: No
Screens Applications: Yes
Accepts Application Updates:
Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine at Seton Hall University Mission:
To develop our students, residents, faculty, and healthcare environment to deliver the highest quality care for all.
- Embrace and model our professional and our university’s Catholic roots of reverence for the human condition, empathy toward suffering, excellence in medical care, and humility in service;
- Continue to serve and learn from the engagement of underrepresented minority populations among students, faculty, staff, and community;
- Integrate lifelong learning and inquiry into their practice;
- Work in communion with scholars and practitioners of other disciplines to integrate their perspectives, experiences, and tools; and
- Understand that context, community, and behavior drive wellbeing.
Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine at Seton Hall University Vision:
Each person in New Jersey, and in the United States, regardless of race or socioeconomic status, will enjoy the highest levels of wellness in an economically and behaviorally sustainable fashion.
- Why are you interested in attending the Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine at Seton Hall University?
How to Answer Secondary Prompts about “Why Us”
- State a professional goal/s that you wish to accomplish by pursuing a medical degree.
- Explain what qualities of excellence, knowledge, and/or skills you would contribute to the medical school experience.
- Please share personal experiences that have motivated your decision to enter health care, as well as short- and long-term goals.
- Describe your experience with the field of medicine (or a related field) that has prepared you for advanced study in this area. Specifically, how have your life experiences prepared you to pursue a degree in medicine, including: coursework experiences, clinical work, experiences in overcoming adversity, work experiences, volunteer activities, and/or research experiences?
How to Write About Your Obstacles, Challenges, and Problems in your Secondary Essays