New York University-Long Island Secondary Essay Prompts
(If you have updated prompts, please submit them at updatesecondaries.com)
Prompts have been updated June 2023. (Older essays, if available are below)
- NYU LISOM offers a direct link to residency into one of four ACGME-accredited residency programs at NYU Langone Hospital – Long Island in fields of medicine that address the primary care needs of the population and physician workforce shortages. (250 words)
Please select the residency track for which you wish to be considered and reason(s) for your choice – including those experiences (pre-medical, professional or personal) which have confirmed your interest in this area. Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Obstetrics & Gynecology, General Surgery
- NYU LISOM is committed to training physicians guided by the principles of primary care which encompass patient-centered care that is: comprehensive, continuous, coordinated, collaborative, culturally sensitive and community-based. (250 words)
Please tell us how these principles align with your professional goals as a future physician?
- Among the core competencies expected of entering medical students are the capacity for improvement as well as evidence of adaptability and resilience. (250 words)
Describe a situation or personal challenge that motivated you to evaluate your strengths and weaknesses, re-assess or change your behavior, navigate an unexpected outcome and/or learn from your mistakes.
- (For this question, you can answer EITHER Option A OR Option B.)Option A (250 words)
Problem-based learning (PBL) is a core active learning methodology at NYU LISOM which involves students working together in small groups on clinical case-based problems utilizing:
Identifying information needed and thinking critically in applying this information to address the problem
Identifying knowledge gaps or what is not understood about the problem
Assisting peers to integrate and apply knowledge to a given problem as well as being able to learn from peers
Using this framework, please share an example of a problem-solving experience you have encountered in a small-group setting or leadership role which you feel has prepared you to be successful in an active learning environment and why?Option B
The NYU Long Island School of Medicine seeks to prepare future physician leaders who will be ‘change agents’ in health systems science in domains such as:
– Healthcare Policy & Economics
– Population and Public Health
– Evidenced-based Medicine and Practice
– Health System Improvement and Patient Safety
– Clinical Informatics
Which of these domains interests you the most and why? If applicable, please include those aspects of your academic studies, pre-medical, or professional experiences that have informed your interest in the domain you selected.
- Please provide the response that applies to you (250 words)
– If you are still in school, please tell us your planned activities for the application cycle.
– If you have graduated from college, please tell us what you have been doing since that time and your reasons for doing so.
- Please comment on any significant fluctuations in your academic record or inconsistencies in your MCAT score; if you took a leave of absence for any reason during college; or any application irregularities about which you wish the admissions committee to know more. (250 words)
- We recognize applicants may have had to overcome significant obstacles or adversity in their lives. If you feel this applies to you, the admissions committee is interested to understand how these experiences may have impacted your personal, educational and/or professional path. (250 words)
Primary Deadline: Usually around Nov 15th
Secondary Deadline: Usually around Dec 1st
Secondary Fee: $100.00
FAP Waiver: Yes, Full Fee Waived
Casper Required: No
PREview Required: No
Screens Applications: Yes
Accepts Application Updates:
New York University Long Island School of Medicine Mission:
This school currently does not have a mission, vision, or values listed.