There’s no one right way to get a great MCAT score, but if you’re looking at a course, I would say that the Blueprint MCAT Online Course is going to be the best course for most of you out there.
Blueprint MCAT is now one of the largest test prep companies in the nation. I’ll review the new Blueprint MCAT Online Course here and show why I think they are a company that you might want to look towards when looking into your MCAT preparation needs.
You may already know about Blueprint MCAT, formerly Next Step Test Prep, from my weekly MCAT Podcast with Phil Hawkins. Each week, we give you the best MCAT prep advice to help you maximize your score to get you into the school of your dreams.
Blueprint MCAT Online Course Review
The Video Review
Is it Worth the Money?
The Blueprint MCAT Online Course is comparable in price to similar offerings from Kaplan and The Princeton Review, starting at $1799 for a 6-month subscription. However, where I think Blueprint edges out the competitors is the value they pack into their course.
Beyond the intangibles — the engaging content, the unrivaled analytics, and the office hours — you get 15 months of access to AAMC’s online resources ($320 value), but you also get access to one of the largest and most customizable Qbanks out there ($295+ value), and updated set subject books that complement the online course ($270 value).
What I also like about the Blueprint course is its pricing structure. Rather than offering more content to higher-paying students, they offer a term-based pricing structure. Students can choose 6, 12, or 18-months of access to the platform, depending on when you’re planning to take the MCAT. So you get everything they have to offer, for as long as you need it.
My Favorite Things About the Course
Before diving into the content modules, Blueprint prompts you to set up a study plan. You input your availability, your projected MCAT date, and even your days-off. It then automatically creates a modular study plan for the entire duration of your MCAT prep. If something comes up and you run out of study time, you can simply move the module to another day. You can also remove some of the supplemental content, so you can focus more on what’s most important with the time you have available.
As you dive into the content, the course is broken up into 160 learning modules that integrate content, strategy, and quizzes. You also have the option to test out of material at the start of each module, so you can focus on what you need to know and simply review what you already know.
The course also includes 30 learning modules dedicated specifically to teaching strategy and reasoning, so you’re prepared for whatever they throw your way.
What I like most about the course is the real-time analytics that Blueprint brought to Next Step’s course. As you’re going through your study plan and completing each module, you’ll get feedback on how you’re doing, where you’re getting content right and wrong, and what you need to do to improve. And when you get stuck, not only do you have a great set of books that complement the online course content, but you also have access to weekday content reviews with MCAT experts.
Who is it For?
I think the Blueprint MCAT Online Course is good for many premed students, including these 3 categories:
- Students who prefer to study on their own, but who would also benefit from live office hours
- Busy students (let’s face it – who isn’t busy) – but more specifically, non-traditional students
- Students who don’t have access to great advisors or peer study groups and aren’t sure where to start
- If you’re looking for a more structured “classroom” setting, this may not be the course for you. However, it is worth noting that they do have weekday online content review sessions, so you have the opportunity to get your questions answered by an MCAT expert.
- The course does not currently support collaboration between students, such as virtual study groups.
- The value of the customizable study planner, 15 months of access to the AAMC online prep resources, robust Qbank, six content books, and live office hours are nearly equal to the cost or the course.
- Blueprint brings powerful data analytics to the Next Step courses, helping you to learn better, faster. Learn from the questions you got right, the questions you got wrong, and even the questions you guessed correctly but switched to an incorrect answer.
- Unlimited access to live office hours with expert MCAT instructors five days per week — it’s like having a tutor in the course.
Should You Purchase This Course?
Not everybody needs a course to prepare for the MCAT, and taking a course does not guarantee that you will get a better MCAT score — so, it really depends on YOU and what YOU need. If you believe that you would benefit from an MCAT course, I highly recommend you check out the Blueprint MCAT course. Because this is an affiliate link, I’ll get a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Crush the MCAT with our
MCAT Secrets eBook
DOWNLOAD FREE - Crush the MCAT with our MCAT Secrets eBook