Today, we answer some questions coming from the mailbag. If you have questions you want us to answer, here are a couple ways to drop them in:
- Email Ryan at [email protected]
- Join the over 425 other premeds in our Facebook group at www.medicalschoolhq.net/group
Here are the answers to questions from some of our beloved listeners:
Should you start studying for the MCAT alone or should you just dive right in with a tutoring program?
- It depends. Everybody has different methods of studying
- Taking a test prep course will more than likely give you a boost in your score by several points.
Should surgeons have to get used to blood and flesh?
- Either you like it or not.
Taking finance as premed?
- What you’re majoring has no bearing on your ability to get into medical school.
- How well you do in your major and the med school pre-requisites make all the difference in the world.
- Follow your passion.
Shadowing or volunteering hours requirement to be competitive?
- Shadowing: What you need to show is that you have shadowed and gotten close enough to the patient and understand what you’re getting yourself into.
- Volunteering: For your sense of pride and accomplishment and for the admissions committee to see that you are willing to give and take time to go volunteer and give to others
*The University of Utah dictates the required shadowing hours to apply.
- Community volunteer services: 36 hours in the last 4 years (Average of 100 hours within the last 4 years)
- Physician shadowing: 8-24 hours
What type of study-er are you? How much time do you have dedicated to studying for the MCAT?
- The MCAT is one of the biggest admissions criteria and requirements that you need to do as well as you can on. So you NEED to be serious and #respecttheMCAT. Do well in it. So plan ahead and work backwards from there.
Links and Other Resources
- Free MCAT Gift: Free 30+ page guide with tips to help you maximize your MCAT score and which includes discount codes for MCAT prep as well.
- Check out our partner magazine, www.premedlife.com to learn more about awesome premed information.
- Blueprint MCAT (formerly Next Step Test Prep): Get one-on-one tutoring for the MCAT and maximize your score. Get $50 off their tutoring program when you mention that you heard about this on the podcast or through the MSHQ website.
- Get us free on your device. Subscribe and listen to new episodes each week. Visit www.medicalschoolhq.net/listen
- Hang out with us over at medicalschoolhq.net/group. Click join and we’ll add you up to our private Facebook group. Share your successes and miseries with the rest of us.
- Listen to our podcast for free at iTunes: medicalschoolhq.net/itunes and leave us a review there!
- Email me at [email protected] or connect with me on Twitter @medicalschoolhq
DOWNLOAD FREE - Crush the MCAT with our MCAT Secrets eBook