In today's episode, Ryan talks with student doctor Chris Thompson, who is presently a non-traditional fourth year medical student.
Chris runs a YouTube channel called Student Doctor Thompson with now over 20,000 subscriptions. He posts videos about things that has helped him to get to this point in his medical school life.
Today, Chris shares with us the decision process he went through with his wife on choosing to leave his corporate sales job to go back to medical school, the struggles he has faced alongside, and how he fought his way through all the negativity around becoming a physician.
Here are the highlights of the conversation with Chris:
When Chris knew that medicine was his calling:
- Taking the non-traditional route
- Business management for his undergraduate degree at a time of economic downturn
- Working at a large uniform company (which he hated by the way)
- Chris gives credit to his younger brother, Kyle, who inspired him to go to medical school
The thought process Chris and his wife went through while deciding for medical school:
- Weighing things out between keeping the job and becoming a doctor
- Sacrifice for a greater reward in the future vs. Don't sacrifice now for a smaller reward now
- Looking in the longer scheme of things
Getting information needed to get into medical school:
- Chris got support from Kyle's wife who worked as a premed adviser during her undergraduate years
The hardest part of transitioning from corporate sales to medical school application:
- Fighting his way through the negative advice he received during his shadowing experience
- Intimidating timeline with at least a year of premed courses left to go
Positivism over negativity:
- Chris chose to really focus on the positive aspects
- Acceptance and finding ways to stay positive
The best part of medical school for Chris:
- The hands-on aspect of clinical experience and the art of it!
Starting his own YouTube channel:
- Fighting boredom and thinking of a rewarding way to use his free time in medical school
Chris' video recommendation for premeds:
Some pieces of advice for premed students:
“Think about it seriously. It's not for everyone. There's a lot of glamour in the idea of becoming a doctor. But if you truly believe it is for you and you have hurdles to cross… fixate on this life goal that you have and do what it takes to attain that goal especially if that's what you truly believe will bring you happiness in the long run.”
“Hold tight to that idea and keeping working towards improving yourself in paper and in person so you can accomplish that goal.”
Links and Other Resources
- Check out Chris' YouTube Channel: Student Doctor Thompson
- Free MCAT Gift: Free 30+ page guide with tips to help you maximize your MCAT score and which includes discount codes for MCAT prep as well.
- Check out our partner magazine, www.premedlife.com to learn more about awesome premed information.
- Listen to our podcast for free at iTunes: medicalschoolhq.net/itunes and leave us a review there!
- Get us free on your device. Subscribe and listen to new episodes each week. Visit www.medicalschoolhq.net/listen
- Hang out with us over at medicalschoolhq.net/group. Click join and we'll add you up to our private Facebook group. Share your successes and miseries with the rest of us.
- Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or connect with me on Twitter @medicalschoolhq
Subscribe for Free
Listen to Other Episodes
Leave us a Review and Rating!
Just like Yelp reviews or IMDB ratings help you choose your next restaurant or movie, leaving a 5 star rating and/or a written review is very valuable to The Premed Years. It allows us to be able to share our information with more people than ever before.
I am so incredibly thankful to those who have recently gone into our listing in iTunes to provide a five start rating and a written review of The Premed Years.
Subscribe and Download
Android/Mac/Windows – You can download DoubleTwist and use that to manage all of our past and future episodes
Please help us spread the word!
If you like the show, will you please take a moment to leave a comment on iTunes? This really helps us get the word out!
Crush the MCAT with our
MCAT Secrets eBook
DOWNLOAD FREE - Crush the MCAT with our MCAT Secrets eBook