Sanford at University of South Dakota Secondary Essay Prompt
(If you have updated prompts, please submit them at updatesecondaries.com)
These prompts are from the 2021 Application Cycle and are unchanged from the previous cycle.
All prompts have a 1,200 character limit.
- Given the mission statement of the school, please explain how your experiences and long-term goals would help meet the mission. | How to Write About How You Fit a Medical School’s Mission
- Given the diversity statement of the school, explain how your background and experiences with diversity will bring value to the school. | How to Write About Diversity in Your Secondary Essays
- Describe how your experiences in health care or social activities will help you become a good physician.
- Briefly describe a crisis or significant challenge in your life, how you have worked through the crisis or challenge, and what you have learned from this experience. | How to Write About Your Obstacles, Challenges, and Problems in your Secondary Essays
- What are your career plans in the event that you are not admitted to a medical school this year or after several applications?
Primary Deadline: November 1, 2021
Secondary Deadline: Unknown (Try to turn your secondaries around within two weeks after receiving)
Secondary Fee: $35
FAP Waiver: No
CASPer Required: No
VITA Required: No
Screens Applications: Yes
Accepts Application Updates:
Sanford School of Medicine at University of South Dakota Mission:
The mission of the University of South Dakota Sanford School of Medicine is to provide the opportunity for South Dakota residents to receive a quality, broad-based medical education with an emphasis on family medicine. The curriculum is to be established to encourage graduates to serve people living in the medically underserved areas of South Dakota, and is to require excellence in the basic sciences and in all clinical disciplines. The University of South Dakota Sanford School of Medicine is to provide to our students and the people of South Dakota excellence in education, research and service. To these ends, the school is to provide educational pathways leading to both the Doctor of Medicine and the Doctor of Philosophy degrees. Quality health care for the people of South Dakota is addressed by undergraduate, graduate and continuing educational programs as well as by basic and applied medical research. The Sanford School of Medicine should serve as a technical resource in the development of health care policy in the state and provide extension and research initiatives to improve the health care of the citizens of the state.
Sanford School of Medicine at University of South Dakota Vision:
The University of South Dakota Sanford School of Medicine will be a leader in educating students who with knowledge, skill and compassion dedicate their lives to the well-being of their patients, their community and their profession.