University of Colorado Secondary Essay Prompts
(If you have updated prompts, please submit them at updatesecondaries.com)
These prompts are from the 2019 Application Cycle.
- Part A. The School of Medicine regards the diversity of an entering class as an important factor in serving the educational mission of the school. Please write about things in your background that have been important to your development or that have been challenging to you on your path to a career in medicine. These could include your socioeconomic status, culture, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, sexual identity, and work or life experiences. Explain how these have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine. Part B. Please write about the “fit” between your experiences and goals and the University of Colorado School of Medicine. Limit the essay to 1500 characters, including spaces (approximately 300 words).
- If you are a re-applicant, please explain how you and your application has changed since your previous submission. Limit this response to 1500 Characters.
Urban Track: Optional
- Describe the type of urban community health project that would be of greatest interest to you. Try to be as specific as possible regarding a particular culture or population of patients you are interested in and a topic you would like to study. Reasons for your interest in the CU-UNITE Urban Underserved track. If you have had a prior experience in an urban underserved community either volunteer, work-related, and/or personal, describe how this has impacted your decision to apply to this track.
- Describe how you plan to incorporate urban underserved health care into your career following completion of your schooling.
- You are a student spending your first summer working in an urban-underserved, uninsured community in Denver. You are on a field visit and notice a car that appears to be abandoned, but then on closer observation you notice that there are small children asleep in the back seat wearing dirty clothes with left over fast food on the floor boards. You notice a strong odor of urine and feces coming from the car. A woman is sitting under a tree nearby and is also poorly dressed and unkempt and appears to be in her last trimester of pregnancy. She has visible lesions on her legs and arms. Identify the needs that you see in this family from the perspective of a student working with urban underserved uninsured populations. Please describe how you would attempt to address the needs of this family both in context of their potential health issues and social situation.
Rural Track: Optional
- Describe your experience in and commitment to rural Colorado and your vision of working as a primary care physician in rural Colorado. Please limit your rural track essay to 1500 characters or less (about 300 words).
Secondary Deadline: December 30, 2018
Secondary Fee: $100
FAP Waiver: Full Fee Waived
CASPer Required: Yes
Screens Applications: Yes
Accepts Application Updates: No
University of Colorado Denver School of Medicine Mission:
The mission of the University of Colorado School of Medicine is to provide Colorado, the nation and the world with programs of excellence in:
- Education – through the provision of educational programs to medical students, allied health students, graduate students and housestaff, practicing health professionals and the public at large;
- Research – through the development of new knowledge in the basic and clinical sciences, as well as in health policy and health care education;
- Patient Care – through state-of-the-art clinical programs which reflect the unique educational environment of the University, as well as the needs of the patients it serves; and,
- Community Service – through sharing the School’s expertise and knowledge to enhance the broader community, including our affliated institutions, other healthcare professionals, alumni and other colleagues, and citizens of the state.
5 MOST POPULAR PODCASTS
DOWNLOAD FREE - Crush the MCAT with our MCAT Secrets eBook