University of New England Secondary Essay Prompts
(If you have updated prompts, please submit them at updatesecondaries.com)
Prompts have been updated May 2023. (Older essays, if available are below)
a) Have you ever applied to ANY academic program (undergraduate, graduate, or professional) at the University of New England? If yes, please indicate the program and year in which you applied. If no, please respond N/A.
b) Describe your interests in attending UNE COM and any contact you’ve had with our students, alumni, or faculty. If you are related to a UNE COM graduate, please list that person’s full name, year of graduation, and relationship to you.
- a) How many Osteopathic Vs Allopathic medical schools have you applied to this cycle?
b) If you previously only applied to Allopathic medical schools, why are you now applying to Osteopathic Medical schools? Please be concise and specific.
c) If this is more than your first round of application to medical schools, what have you done to enhance your preparedness? Please be concise and specific.
- UNE COM’s curriculum is built on a foundation of team-based education. Give an example of when you worked on an effective team, either academically or professionally. Explain why a team-based approach is the right model for your medical education.
- If everything goes according to plan, how and where do you see yourself professionally in ten years? How come?
Primary Deadline: Usually Around Feb 1st
Secondary Deadline: Usually around March 15th
Secondary Fee: $55
FAP Waiver: Full Fee Waived
CASPer Required: No
VITA Required: No
Screens Applications: Yes
Accepts Application Updates:
University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine Mission:
The University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine fosters health care leaders across the continuum in undergraduate, graduate and continuing medical education, to advance exceptional osteopathic healthcare locally and globally through practice, research, scholarship, education and community health.
University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine Vision:
The University of New England, College of Osteopathic Medicine will become a recognized leader in educating primary care physicians for Maine, New England, and the nation by developing into:
- A medical school that offers a state of the art curriculum, dynamic clinical rotations, and unique GME
- A major contributor in clearly defined, and well-focused medical research.
- A strong clinical program that serves our community through collaborative and entrepreneurial efforts
- An organization that offers leadership to our profession and our community
- A catalyst for inter‐profession education and service
- A trusted partner in health care for our community
University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine Values:
- Support the creation and maintenance of outstanding medical practitioners
- Advance our commitment to the heritage and principles of osteopathic medicine
- Facilitate learning, critical thinking, research and scholarship
- Shape the future creatively while preserving our heritage
- Promote a diverse, innovative, interprofessional and entrepreneurial culture
- Maintain a caring, collegial environment
- Foster integrity and accountability through a strong ethical base
- Utilize evidence-based methods, practice-focused research, scholarship, critical thinking and a variety of learning modalities to improve health education and healthcare outcomes
- Excel in practice-focused research in health, function and medical education
- Actively seek internal and external collaboration to further our mission
Former Prompts (before 23-24 cycle)
- Describe your particular interest in the UNE COM and describe any contact you’ve had with our students, alumni, or faculty. If you are related to a UNE COM graduate, please list that persons full name, year of graduation, and relationship to you. | How to Answer Secondary Prompts about “Why Us”
- Tell about a time when you needed to put the interests of another ahead of your own.
- Pick an example of a challenge/difficulty you have encountered that is of a personal, cultural, extra-curricular, or academic nature. What insight have you gained from this event? How will it influence your time at UNE COM and your practice of medicine? | How to Write About Your Obstacles, Challenges, and Problems in your Secondary Essays
- What is your understanding of the team-based approach to medical education? What do you think are the advantages and disadvantages of this approach?