University of North Dakota Secondary Essay Prompts
(If you have updated prompts, please submit them at updatesecondaries.com)
These prompts are from the 2019 Application Cycle.
All prompts have a 1,600 character limit.
- Residency History: List each permanent residence starting with your place of birth.
- The primary purpose of the UND SMHS is to educate physicians and other health professionals for subsequent service in North Dakota and to enhance the quality of life of its people. Given the purpose of the school, please explain how you do or will fulfill this mission.
How to Write About How You Fit a Medical School’s Mission
- Describe your experience with life in a rural and/or Native American community.
- What are your career plans in the event that you are not admitted to medical school this year
- What are your career plans in the event that you don’t ever get admitted to medical school?
- If needed, update the information in your AMCAS application (i.e., grades in recent courses, alterations in your proposed coursework or graduation, additions to extracurricular activities, unreported legal and institutional infractions, etc.).
How to Write About Red Flags in Your Secondary Essays
- Please see “Residency Preferences” on the UND SMHS Admissions website. Describe your ties to the state of North Dakota or how you qualify for the other residency groups described there.
- Are you an enrolled member of a U.S. federally recognized tribe? If yes, please describe your connection to this or other Native American communities. If no, you do not need to complete this question.
- Are you currently enrolled in a grant-funded and/or degree-granting post-baccalaureate program? If so, what is your timeline for completion?
- UND SMHS REAPPLICANTS ONLY: When was your previous application, and, subsequently, what steps have you taken to strengthen your candidacy? Note any relevant academic, employment, clinical, and personal experience.
How to Write About Being a Reapplicant in Secondary Essays
Secondary Deadline: November 1, 2018
Secondary Fee: $50
FAP Waiver: Full Fee Waived
CASPer Required: Yes
Screens Applications: No
Accepts Application Updates: No
University of North Dakota School of Medicine & Health Sciences Mission:
The primary purpose of the University of North Dakota School of Medicine & Health Sciences is to educate physicians and other health professionals to enhance the quality of life in North Dakota. Other purposes include the discovery of knowledge that benefits the people of this state and enhances the quality of their lives.
University of North Dakota School of Medicine & Health Sciences Values:
A spirit of collaboration and connectedness across the University and beyond
An enthusiasm for inquiry, creativity, and innovation
An understanding and appreciation of diverse people, experiences, and ideas
A welcoming, inclusive, and supportive environment for all
- LIBERAL ARTS
An educational foundation essential for living an intellectually curious, personally fulfilling, and socially responsible life
- LIFELONG LEARNING
A passion for learning, civic engagement, and community leadership
5 MOST POPULAR PODCASTS
DOWNLOAD FREE - Crush the MCAT with our MCAT Secrets eBook