Larner at The University of Vermont Secondary Essay Prompts
(If you have updated prompts, please submit them at updatesecondaries.com)
Prompts have been updated November 2023. (Older essays, if available are below)
- The Larner College of Medicine curriculum emphasizes active in-person participation and peer co-learning which translates into strong clinical practice. This relies on individual students preparing for, and being actively involved in, participatory class sessions. Please share your thoughts on the suitability of active learning for you. You may use any of the points below to guide your response. (400 words)
Navigating a group learning process.
Personal contributions to such a learning environment and areas of growth.
The value of balancing your learning with the teaching of your classmates.
Any potential challenges to this approach to learning.
- The Larner College of Medicine at the University of Vermont recognizes that diversity extends beyond chosen and unchosen identities and encompasses an individual’s entire experiences. Diverse environments can promote growth and provide an opportunity for reflection. Reflect on a time you learned something from someone or a group of people who are unlike yourself and how that challenged your preconceptions or biases. How will this experience influence your behavior in the future? (400 words)
- The Larner College of Medicine has core values that are reflected in our professionalism statement. How has your understanding of what professionalism means evolved over time? Reflect on a personal experience that contributed to your understanding of your own core values. (300 words)
- What unique opportunities at Larner College of Medicine would be meaningful to you in your education and how do these align with your larger goal of becoming a physician? (250 words)
- (Optional) Use this space to share any information, not presented elsewhere, that will clarify any aspect of your application. If you are a reapplicant, you may choose to share what you have done since your previous application. (250 words)
Primary Deadline: Usually around Nov 15th
Secondary Deadline: Usually around Dec 15th
Secondary Fee: $125
FAP Waiver: Full Fee Waived
Casper Required: Yes
PREview Required: No
Screens Applications: No
Accepts Application Updates: No
Larner College of Medicine at The University of Vermont Mission:
Our mission at The Robert Larner, M.D. College of Medicine at The University of Vermont is to educate a diverse group of dedicated physicians and biomedical scientists to serve across all the disciplines of medicine; to bring hope to patients by advancing medical knowledge through research; to integrate education and research to advance the quality and accessibility of patient care; and to engage with our communities to benefit Vermont and the world.
- The Larner College of Medicine at the University of Vermont recognizes that diversity extends beyond chosen and unchosen identities and encompasses the entirety of an individual’s experiences. Diverse environments can promote growth and provide an opportunity to reflect on preconceptions or biases. Reflect on a time you learned something from someone or a group of people who are unlike yourself. (500 words)
- Please reflect on a difficult and challenging non-academic experience you have faced. Include a description of the stressful event, how you dealt with it and what you have learned about others and yourself through this process. (500 words)
- Please use this box to describe how the COVID19 pandemic may have adversely impacted your application. (150 words)
- Additional Comments (300 words)