Medical College of Wisconsin Secondary Essay Prompts
(If you have updated prompts, please submit them at updatesecondaries.com)
Prompts have been updated June 2023. (Older essays, if available are below)
- Explain how your unique background, identity, interests, or talents will contribute to the MCW learning community. (1000 characters)
- How will MCW uniquely prepare you for your future goals? (1000 characters)
- Recount a time when you made a decision you regret. How did it affect you, and what did you learn from the experience? (2000 characters)
- The Medical College of Wisconsin is committed to educating health professionals who are dedicated to improving health equity across the diverse populations we serve. Share with us what you have learned or how you have grown through working with or serving people from cultural backgrounds or groups different than your own. How do you believe you can contribute to improving health equity or reducing health disparities as a physician? (2000 characters)
Primary Deadline: Usually around Nov 1st
Secondary Deadline: Usually around Dec 1st
Secondary Fee: $100
FAP Waiver: Full Fee Waived
Casper Required: Yes
PREview Required: No
Screens Applications: Yes
Accepts Application Updates: Yes
Medical College of Wisconsin Mission:
We are a distinguished leader and innovator in the education and development of the next generation of physicians, scientists, pharmacists and health professionals; we discover and translate new knowledge in the biomedical and health sciences; we provide cutting-edge, collaborative patient care of the highest quality; and we improve the health of the communities we serve.
- Explain how your unique background, identity, interests, or talents will contribute to the MCW learning community and how MCW will uniquely prepare you for your future goals.
- Recount a time when you failed or made a decision you regret. How did it affect you, and what did you learn from the experience?
How to Write About Your Obstacles, Challenges, and Problems in your Secondary Essays
- Describe your motivation for pursuing a primary care focused, community-based medical education program. Focus on how a MCW regional campus educational experience will prepare you for your unique future career in medicine. Include the influence of key experiences with rural or medically underserved communities.
- MCW values the unique backgrounds and identities of our incoming students. Please indicate if any of the following apply to you. Check all that apply and please provide additional details.
- I belong to a race or ethnicity considered underrepresented in medicine.
- I identify as part of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex, or asexual (LGBTQIA) community.
- I am the first person in my immediate family to attend college (excluding siblings).
- I was born or grew up in a rural community.
- I come from an economically disadvantaged background.
- I attended an underperforming elementary, middle, or high school.
- My primary language is NOT English.
- I have overcome a significant hardship.
How to Write About Diversity in Your Secondary Essays