Oregon Health Sciences University Secondary Essay Prompts
(If you have updated prompts, please submit them at updatesecondaries.com)
These prompts are from the 2021 Application Cycle and are unchanged from the previous cycle.
- What experience have you had that has given you insight into the patients you hope to eventually serve?
- Other than work-life balance, what will be your greatest challenge in becoming a physician?
- Discuss a time in your life that demonstrated your resilience. | How to Write About Your Obstacles, Challenges, and Problems in your Secondary Essays
- Please describe your path through the OHSU UME Admissions Recommended Premedical Competencies, with special attention to experiences that are not reflected in your transcript. Do not include specific grades or test scores in your response.
- Give an example of personal feedback in the last few years that was difficult to receive. How did you respond?
- Please discuss how your personal experience demonstrates the ability to overcome adversity and contributes to diversity in the provision of healthcare. Please include any insight into the diversity that you will bring to OHSU school of medicine and the profession of medicine in the context of OHSU’s definition of diversity: Diversity at OHSU requires creating and sustaining a community of inclusion. We honor, respect, embrace and value the unique contributions and and perspectives of all employees, patients, students, volunteers, and our local and global communities. Diversity may include age, color, culture, disability, ethnicity, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation and socioeconomic status. We respect diversity of thought, ideas, and more. Diversity maximizes our true potential for creativity, innovation, quality patient care, educational excellence, and outstanding service. | How to Write About Diversity in Your Secondary Essays
Primary Deadline: October 15, 2021
Secondary Deadline: Unknown (Try to turn your secondaries around within two weeks after receiving)
Secondary Fee: $100
FAP Waiver: Full Fee Waived
CASPer Required: Yes
VITA Required: No
Screens Applications: No
Accepts Application Updates: Yes
Oregon Health Sciences University School of Medicine Mission:
It is the mission of the School of Medicine to enhance human health through programs of excellence in education, research, health care and public service to the larger community including underserved populations. In achieving these goals, the Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU) School of Medicine seeks to establish an educational environment that challenges its students to strive for academic excellence and fosters the development of compassion, humanism, professionalism, and cultural competence in the care of patients from their first days in the classroom to their final rotation in the hospitals and clinics. A fundamental priority throughout OHSU is to enable each student to fulfill his or her potential as a human being and as a health care professional while effectively meeting the health-related needs of the multiple communities he or she will serve.