Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Secondary Essay Prompts
(If you have updated prompts, please submit them at updatesecondaries.com)
Prompts have been updated November 2023. (Older essays, if available are below)
We are offering a primary care tract called PACCE that provides extensive mentoring and longitudinal care experiences in your third year of medical school. We will be conducting an additional interview for applicants interested in this track. For accepted students selected for PACCE, First and second year medical school experiences, placement in PACCE practices, and primary care advisement will be available.
- RWJMS has identified the core values below as critical to our mission and vision. We strive to matriculate learners who embody these values.
R — Respect, dignity and humanism for the diverse population we serve
W — Wellness and resilience
J — Joining learners hand in hand with care delivery
M — Making patients first with safe, compassionate, high-quality care
S — Science to advance human health
Please select a RWJMS core value that resonates the most with you. In two paragraphs or less, reflect on one of your experiences to discuss how you have built a foundation for this value and how it will contribute to our community of learners. (No Word Limit)
- Discuss a difficult or challenging situation you have encountered and how you dealt with it. Be sure to include the skills you called upon to resolve the dilemma, and the support person(s) from whom you sought advice. (250 words)
- Please feel free to comment on any course grades, GPA trends, or MCAT scores and what you have learned about yourself. (No Word Limit)
- Please use this space if you would like to provide additional information to the admissions committee. (No Word Limit)
Primary Deadline: Usually around Dec 1st
Secondary Deadline: December 15th
Secondary Fee: $80
FAP Waiver: Full Fee Waived
Casper Required: Optional, but highly recommended
PREview Required: Yes
Screens Applications: Yes
Accepts Application Updates: Yes
Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School Mission:
Robert Wood Johnson Medical School is dedicated to transforming health care for New Jersey and the nation through innovation and excellence in education, research, patient- and family-centered care and addressing the health of our diverse community.
Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School Vision:
Robert Wood Johnson Medical School will become the academic engine driving a new healthcare paradigm in New Jersey; the state’s first and largest academic high-value health care system.
- If applicable, please comment on any science grade(s) listed on your application for which you received grades lower than a B. If applicable, please comment if there is a downward trend in your science and/or total grade point average (GPA). (Word count not provided) | How to Write About Red Flags in Your Secondary Essays
- Please let us know how you prepared for your most recent MCAT. If you have taken the MCAT more than once let us know if you prepared differently for prior tests. (Word count not provided) | How to Write About Being a Reapplicant in Secondary Essays
- Were you, or are you, employed during the school year? If so please let us know the type of work, hours worked, etc. In addition, please indicate if you and/or your parents are/were employed by RWJSM. (Word count not provided)
- If you have taken time off during your undergraduate training, or if you have already graduated, please please provide information to explain this time by providing a line-by-line description of activities or explanation delineated by month/year to month/year. (Word count not provided) | How to Discuss Breaks in Your Education in Secondary Essays
- If you’re applying with a state of legal residence that is not New Jersey, please indicate your connection to New Jersey and explain this connection. (Word count not provided)
- Please feel free to comment on any course grades, GPA trends, or MCAT scores and what you have learned about yourself.
- If you are applying with a state of legal residence that is not NJ, please indicate your connection to NJ (mark all that apply) and explain this connection.
- Please use this space if you would like to provide additional information to the admissions committee. You may choose to elaborate on or clarify details you have previously provided.
Required for students who have indicated interest in PACCE.
- Please describe your interest in primary care.