University of Missouri- Columbia Secondary Essay Prompts
(If you have updated prompts, please submit them at updatesecondaries.com)
Prompts have been updated November 2023. (Older essays, if available are below)
Why are you interested in attending the University of Missouri School of Medicine? (1200 characters)
- How will you add a unique perspective to the medical school and the practice of medicine? (1200 characters)
- How will you contribute to an inclusive learning environment at the medical school and the practice of medicine? (2000 characters)
- Is there anything that was not fully addressed in your application and/or any additional updates since submitting the AMCAS application? (2000 characters)
- (Re-applicant essay): Since your last application attempt how has your application improved? (3000 characters)
Primary Deadline: Usually around Oct 15th
Secondary Deadline: Usually around Nov 15th
Secondary Fee: $75
FAP Waiver: Full Fee Waived
Casper Required: No
PREview Required: No
Screens Applications: Yes
Accepts Application Updates: No
University of Missouri School of Medicine Mission:
To improve the health of all people, especially Missourians, through exemplary education, research and patient-centered care.
University of Missouri School of Medicine Vision:
To be a transformational leader in improving health.
University of Missouri School of Medicine Values:
- Excellence: We pursue the highest goals and accept the sacrifices and responsibilities required to achieve our best possible performance.
- Respect: We nurture free and open discourse, listen to new ideas, and value diverse perspectives and talents.
- Service: We put forth our most diligent efforts on behalf of our patients, learners, stakeholders and partners.
- Integrity: We commit to honesty, truthfulness and authenticity in our relationships and activities.
- Responsibility: We exhibit a strong sense of duty, stewardship and accountability to each other and to the public.
- Innovation: We pursue an ongoing, collaborative process of discovery and translate knowledge for the benefit and service of society.
- Compassion: We relate to others in a caring, empathic manner and strive to prevent and relieve human suffering.
- Inclusion: We promote diversity and convey a sense of belonging, respect and value for all persons.
- Please describe any element within your candidacy not fully addressed on the AMCAS application that you want the Admissions Committee to consider. (1200 characters)
- Please let us know information regarding how you heard about our school, and any factors (programs, people, mission, geography ect.) that led you to apply. (1200 characters)
Please discuss (e.g. using specific personal traits, education, life experiences, etc.) (2000 characters)
1) how you will add to the overall diversity of the medical school and the practice of medicine AND
2) how you will contribute to an inclusive learning environment at the medical school and the practice of medicine.
Has COVID-19 significantly impacted your medical school application? (2000 characters)
(This question is optional, and if your application wasn’t greatly impacted by the pandemic, then don’t feel like you have to answer.) [check yes/no]
Please think about how the following were impacted, but do not limit your response to these considerations:
a. Volunteering experiences
b. Health care experiences (shadowing and direct patient care experiences)
c. Academics and MCAT (pass fail courses, online courses, etc.)
Only required for students who have previously applied to University of Missouri-Columbia School of Medicine.
Have you previously applied to the University of Missouri-Columbia School of Medicine? (check yes/no) (2000 characters)
[If yes] In the space provided below, please provide the Admissions Committee with a brief application history (including when you first applied and the number of application attempts). Please describe in detail the ways in which this application is superior to your previous application(s).