Yale Secondary Essay Prompts
(If you have updated prompts, please submit them at updatesecondaries.com)
Prompts have been updated June 2023. (Older essays, if available are below)
- Yale School of Medicine values diversity in all its forms. How will your background and experiences contribute to this important focus of our institution and inform your future role as a physician? (500 words)
- (please select one of the following): (500 words)
MD applicants: Please answer either one of the following questions
MD/PhD applicants: Please answer question 2 as it pertains to your proposed PhD research. While there is great emphasis on the physician-patient relationship, Yale School of Medicine also emphasizes the importance of training future physicians to care for communities and populations. Describe how your experiences would contribute to this aspect of the mission of the Yale School of Medicine.
Research is essential to patient care, and all students at Yale School of Medicine complete a research thesis. Tell us how your research interests, skills and experiences would contribute to scholarship at Yale School of Medicine.
- This section is optional. It should be used to bring to the attention of the Admissions Committee any important information (personal, academic, or professional) not discussed in other sections of your Yale Secondary Application. If you are a recent graduate, please also list your post-graduation plans/activities in the “Additional Information” section and submit any relevant updates for finalized plans/activities as the application year progresses. (500 words)
Primary Deadline: Usually around Oct 15th
Secondary Deadline: Usually around Nov 15th
Secondary Fee: $95
FAP Waiver: Full Fee Waived
Casper Required: No
PREview Required: No
Screens Applications: No
Accepts Application Updates: Yes/Portal
Yale School of Medicine Mission:
As a preeminent academic medical center that supports the highest quality education, research, and patient care, the Yale School of Medicine will:
- Educate and inspire scholars and future leaders who will advance the practice of medicine and the biomedical sciences,
- Advance medical knowledge to sustain and improve health and to alleviate suffering caused by illness and disease, and
- Provide outstanding care and service for patients in a compassionate and respectful manner.