Yale Secondary Essay Prompts
(If you have updated prompts, please submit them at updatesecondaries.com)
These prompts are from the 2019 Application Cycle.
All prompts have a 500-word limit.
- Yale School of Medicine values diversity in all its forms. How will your background and experiences contribute to this important focus of our institution and inform your future role as a physician?
MD applicants: Please answer either one of the following questions.
MD/PhD applicants: Please answer question two as it pertains to your proposed PhD research.
- While there is great emphasis on the physician-patient relationship, Yale School of Medicine also emphasizes the importance of training future physicians to care for communities and populations. Describe how your experiences would contribute to this aspect of the mission of the Yale School of Medicine.
- Research is essential to patient care, and all students at Yale School of Medicine complete a research thesis. Tell us how your research interests, skills and experiences would contribute to scholarship at Yale School of Medicine.
- It should be used to bring to the attention of the Admissions Committee any important information (personal, academic, or professional) not discussed in other sections of your Yale Secondary Application.
MD/PhD ADDITIONAL ESSAY
- Write a statement concerning: Your reasons for wishing to undertake the combined MD/PhD program, rather than the MD program alone. The specific PhD program that you propose to follow at Yale. The strengths of that Yale graduate program and its faculty as they relate to your career goals.
Secondary Deadline: November 15, 2018
Secondary Fee: $95
FAP Waiver: Full Fee Waived
CASPer Required: No
Screens Applications: No
Accepts Application Updates: Yes/Portal
Yale School of Medicine Mission:
As a preeminent academic medical center that supports the highest quality education, research, and patient care, the Yale School of Medicine will:
- Educate and inspire scholars and future leaders who will advance the practice of medicine and the biomedical sciences,
- Advance medical knowledge to sustain and improve health and to alleviate suffering caused by illness and disease, and
- Provide outstanding care and service for patients in a compassionate and respectful manner.
DOWNLOAD FREE - Crush the MCAT with our MCAT Secrets eBook