Brody at East Carolina University Secondary Essay Prompts
(If you have updated prompts, please submit them at updatesecondaries.com)
Prompts have been updated November 2023. (Older essays, if available are below)
- When you close your eyes and imagine your professional life 20 years from now, what do you see?
- Tell us about a time where you felt that you persisted towards a goal or outcome you wanted even when there where challenges/barriers in the way. How did to you stay motivated to achieve your goal? Describe resources you used to overcome the challenge.
- Medical school presents numerous emotional and professional challenges. Please share an instance where you faced a difficult academic situation and explain how you managed the situation. How did you promote your wellness during this situation?
- East Carolina University’s motto is Servire- “To Serve.” Tell us about your most meaningful community service project or experience unrelated to patient care.
Primary Deadline: Usually around Nov 1st
Secondary Deadline: Early December
Secondary Fee: $70
FAP Waiver: Full Fee Waived
Casper Required: No
PREview Required: No
Screens Applications: No
Accepts Application Updates: No
Brody School of Medicine at East Carolina University Mission:
Brody School of Medicine at East Carolina University is a 40-year-old medical school with a strong primary care orientation. The school established a three-fold mission in 1974 that continues to serve as a guiding framework for our overall educational efforts:
- To increase the supply of primary care physicians to serve the state
- To improve the health status of citizens in eastern North Carolina
- To enhance the access of minority and disadvantaged students to a medical education
- Why have you chosen to apply to the Brody School of Medicine and how do you think your education at the Brody School of Medicine will prepare you to become a future physician? (300 words)
The Covid-19 pandemic has had a dramatic impact on everyday life. From your perspective, reflect upon what you have learned or experienced during this time and how will this impact you going forward. Items to consider incorporating in your response may include but are not limited to: (300 words)
• Academic: Did Covid-19 interrupt your studies? Were you able to interact with your professors and classmates? Did your school require students to move to pass/fail grading systems? Did your MCAT exam get cancelled or delayed?
• Clinical Experiences and Community Service Activities: Did you hold a job? Were you able to gain clinical experiences, either in employment or volunteerism? Did you pursue volunteer opportunities in response to community needs during the pandemic?
• Personal: How did the pandemic affect you or those close to you? Did you face any personal challenges because of Covid-19? Has Covid-19 changed or challenged your perception of pursuing a career in medicine?
- East Carolina University’s motto is Servire- “To Serve.” Tell us about your most meaningful community service project or experience. (300 words)