East Tennessee State University Quillen Secondary Essay Prompts
(If you have updated prompts, please submit them at updatesecondaries.com)
These prompts are from the 2019 Application Cycle.
All prompts have a 3,000 character limit.
- Core Competencies for Entering Medical Students:
- Interpersonal: Service Orientation, Social Skills, Cultural Competence, Teamwork, Oral Communication;
- Intrapersonal: Ethical Responsibility to Self and Others, Reliability and Dependability, Resilience and Adaptability, Capacity for Improvement;
- Thinking and Reasoning: Critical Thinking, Quantitative Reasoning, Scientific Inquiry, Written Communication;
- Science: Living Systems, Human Behavior
- Now imagine that you are enrolled at Quillen and you are serving as a student member of the Admissions Committee. While all of the core competencies are important, and none can be ignored, the Committee does not want to automatically assume that the various competencies should be given equal weight. Accordingly, the Committee has agreed to consider ranking the competencies in terms of priority. With this task in mind, please identify which of the fifteen core competencies you would recommend to receive the highest priority, and which you would recommend as the lowest priority. Along with your recommendations, please outline key facts and reasoning that you would offer to the Committee to explain and defend your choices. There are no categorically right or wrong answers to this question.
Secondary Deadline: November 15, 2018
Secondary Fee: $50
FAP Waiver: Full Fee Waived
CASPer Required: Yes
Screens Applications: Yes
Accepts Application Updates:
East Tennessee State University Quillen College of Medicine Mission and Values:
ETSU provides a student-centered community of learning, reflecting high standards and promoting a balance of liberal arts and professional preparation, and continuous improvement. The university conducts a wide array of educational and research programs and clinical services including a comprehensive Academic Health Sciences Center. Education is the university’s highest priority, and the institution is committed to increasing the level of educational attainment in the state and region based on core values where:
PEOPLE come first, are treated with dignity and respect, and are encouraged to achieve their full potential; RELATIONSHIPS are built on honesty, integrity, and trust; DIVERSITY of people and thought is respected; EXCELLENCE is achieved through teamwork, leadership, creativity, and a strong work ethic; EFFICIENCY is achieved through wise use of human and financial resources; and COMMITMENT to intellectual achievement is embraced.
ETSU endorses the value of liberal education and provides enriching experiences in honors education, student research and creative activity, study abroad, service learning, and community-based education.
ETSU honors and preserves the rich heritage of Southern Appalachia through distinctive education, research, and service programs and is actively engaged in regional stewardship.
ETSU affirms the contributions of diverse people, cultures, and thought to intellectual, social, and economic development.
ETSU offers students a total university experience that includes cultural and artistic programs, diverse student activities, a variety of residential opportunities, and outstanding recreational and intercollegiate athletic programs.
ETSU awards degrees in over one hundred baccalaureate, master, and doctoral programs, including distinctive interdisciplinary programs and distance education offerings that serve students from the region and beyond.
East Tennessee State University Quillen College of Medicine Vision:
Developing a world-class environment to enhance student success and improve the quality of life in the region and beyond.
5 MOST POPULAR PODCASTS
DOWNLOAD FREE - Crush the MCAT with our MCAT Secrets eBook