Mercer University Secondary Essay Prompts
(If you have updated prompts, please submit them at updatesecondaries.com)
These prompts are from the 2021
Application Cycle and are unchanged from the previous cycle.
All prompts have a 230-word limit.
- Please provide below an alternate e-mail address (different from the one listed on the Primary AMCAS Application) to which we can send you correspondence related to your application.
- Please provide a cell phone number at which you can be contacted in reference to your application.
- Please address any institutional action, including honor code or conduct code violations, from your time as an undergraduate and graduate student.
- If you wish to discuss your perceptions of your academic readiness for the rigors of a medical school curriculum or explain poor grades in college coursework or MCAT scores to the Admissions Committee, please do so below.
- What is your understanding of the practice of rural medicine?
- Do you consider yourself to have been raised or to be residing in an area that is medically underserved or in a county that consists of medically underserved populations? By medically underserved we mean populations vulnerable to poor health due to difficulties accessing adequate health care services. This may be due to factors including but not limited to: education level; poverty; being uninsured or underinsured; lack of a usual source of care other than the emergency department; belonging to a socially marginalized group with poorer health outcomes; cultural or language barriers to receiving quality medical care; distance or lack of transportation to needed medical care. Please explain.
- The mission of Mercer University School of Medicine (MUSM) is to educate physicians and health professionals to meet the health care needs of medically underserved and rural areas of Georgia. Summarize your work and learning experiences that you believe reflect congruence with this mission. Based on your understanding of our mission, where and what do you envision yourself doing after completion of medical school and residency? | How to Write About How You Fit a Medical School’s Mission
- If you wish to, please briefly explain below to the Admissions Committee experiences, attributes or qualifications you believe are unique to you that can add to the diversity of the educational environment at MUSM. | How to Write About Diversity in Your Secondary Essays
- Please explain to the Admissions Committee factors that you could not highlight above that would help the Admissions Committee better understand your unique circumstances. If you would like to briefly highlight any substantial updates with regard to your application (example, volunteer experiences) that have occurred after you submitted the Primary AMCAS Application, please summarize them below.
Primary Deadline: November 1, 2021
Secondary Deadline: Unknown (Try to turn your secondaries around within two weeks after receiving)
Secondary Fee: $90
FAP Waiver: Full Fee Waived
CASPer Required: Yes
VITA Required: No
Screens Applications: Yes
Accepts Application Updates:
Mercer University School of Medicine Mission:
To educate physicians and health professionals to meet the primary care and health care needs of rural and medically underserved areas of Georgia.
Mercer University School of Medicine Vision:
To be a recognized leader in educating primary care, rural and community-based health professionals by:
- Improving access to quality health care for Georgia residents
- Enhancing the health status of Georgia residents
- Providing an outstanding medical and health science education in an environment that emphasizes professionalism, achievement, discovery, diversity, and inclusion.
Mercer University School of Medicine Values:
- Respect and Honesty