Central Michigan University Secondary Essay Prompts
(If you have updated prompts, please submit them at updatesecondaries.com)
Prompts have been updated June 2023. (Older essays, if available are below)
- Describe your motivation for applying to the CMU College of Medicine and your future career in medicine. Finally, describe how your preparation and background will contribute to the mission of the CMU College of Medicine. (1000 words)
- If you have applied to any medical school in previous cycles, what have you done since your last application to prepare yourself for a career in medicine? If you have not applied to medical school previously, write “N/A” in the box. (1000 words)
Only required for Michigan residents
- Please provide a brief summary of your affiliation with any County selected (250 words)
Primary Deadline: Usually around Nov 1st
Secondary Deadline: Usually around Dec 3rd
Secondary Fee: $100
FAP Waiver: Full Fee Waived
Casper Required: Yes
PREview Required: No
Screens Applications: Yes
Accepts Application Updates: Yes/Portal
Central Michigan University College of Medicine Mission:
The CMU College of Medicine will prepare diverse, culturally competent physicians focused on improving access to high-quality healthcare in Michigan with an emphasis on rural and medically underserved regions. Our graduates will aspire to excellence in providing patient-centered and evidence-based care to their patients and their communities. We will engage physicians in leading healthcare transformation, lifelong learning, and team-based education.
Central Michigan University College of Medicine Vision:
We will facilitate the transformation of health care in Central and Northern Michigan through:
- Delivering innovative programs in medical education.
- Preparing our learners to incorporate CMU College of Medicine values into their daily lives.
- Promoting inter-professionalism and team-based approaches in progressive health care.
- Creating team-based educational opportunities and programs.
- Creating an inclusive environment supportive of lifelong learning for our graduates, faculty, staff, and partners.
- Supporting and serving community educational needs across the continuum of medical education.
Central Michigan University College of Medicine Values:
- Social Responsibility
- The AAMC has developed 15 core competencies for entering medical students. You can see the list here (https://students-residents.aamc.org/applying-medical-school/article/core-competencies/). Which two competencies are your biggest strengths as an applicant? 400 words
- Please tell us about the most important volunteer experience you have had. What have you learned from this experience about service? 400 words
- If you have applied to any medical school in previous cycles, what have you done since your last application to prepare yourself for a career in medicine? If you have not applied to medical school previously, write “N/A” in the box. 500 words
How to Write About Being a Reapplicant in Secondary Essays