Carle Illinois Secondary Essay Prompts
(If you have updated prompts, please submit them at updatesecondaries.com)
These prompts are from the 2019 Application Cycle.
- “We want to get to know you through the secondary application. We’re looking for physician-innovators; and in leading by example, we are offering an innovative, non-traditional secondary application process. Show us how you are prepared for our unique curriculum, built at the intersection of engineering and medicine. What evidence from your background supports your success? Do you have experience in coding, collaboration, health system management, healthcare delivery, or advanced understanding of our suggested course work? Tell us how you will thrive at Carle Illinois! You are asked to upload one, 1-page artifact (as a PDF; formatted no larger than 8.5×11″) per value (Creativity, Compassion, Curiosity). Images, certificates, text or other visual options are allowed, however, hyperlinks and embedded videos are prohibited. You are encouraged to include multiple examples (i.e. a collage) to demonstrate your qualifications and awards, and you may repeat experiences that are listed on your AMCAS application.
- We know that complex problems require dynamic thinking and creative solutions. Help us see your creativity!
- Show Us – What are the ways you demonstrate you have an active mind? What are you really proud of? For example, have you used technology in novel or distinct ways? What types of innovative solutions have you employed in your work, healthcare, or hobbies? Have you taken a risk to respond to a problem, to express yourself, or to achieve your goals? Describe how you live and lead a creative life.
How to Answer “Why Should We Accept You?” in Your Secondaries
- Tell Us – In 250 words or less, explain how this artifact reflects Carle Illinois College of Medicine’s value of Creativity. If a time commitment was involved, please share your level of commitment (e.g. total hours/years invested; your specific contributions if the artifact is a group effort).
- We believe in creating physicians who, in addition to solving healthcare’s most complex problems, are also tender, kind, and warm. From day one, you will be working with patients.
- Show Us – How have you changed the lives of others? What have you experienced that has fostered a deep sense of compassion? For example, have you had a moving volunteer experience? Have you learned through adversity and shared those lessons with others in need? Share with us how you’ve impacted a larger population, and help us see how you will be the type of physician we would entrust with our most beloved community members.
- Tell Us – In 250 words or less, explain how this artifact reflects Carle Illinois College of Medicine’s value of Compassion. If a time commitment was involved, please share your level of commitment (e.g. total hours/years invested; your specific contributions if the artifact is a group effort).
- Carle Illinois College of Medicine values lifelong learners. We want to see your passion for learning and growing!
- Show Us – How have you explored new interests, cultures, or people? Have you identified a need and taken the initiative to respond to that need? For example, is there a research project or work experience you’d like to share? Has your curiosity fostered a deeper sense of vulnerability, resilience, or life-long learning? If so, how? Let us see where your curiosity has taken you.
How to Write About Diversity in Your Secondary Essays
- Tell Us – In 250 words or less, explain how this artifact reflects Carle Illinois College of Medicine’s value of Curiosity. If a time commitment was involved, please share your level of commitment (e.g. total hours/years invested; your specific contributions if the artifact is a group effort).
- In the video essay, we are asking you to answer 5 questions within one recording session. After testing your device, you may enter the recording session. The questions will appear on the webpage, and you will have five minutes to prepare a response. Professional attire is not required, however, we encourage you to record in a distraction free environment. The actual recording session will run for six minutes; we encourage you to briefly introduce yourself, and spend roughly one minute per question. A countdown clock will be running (in seconds) during the recording to assist you with the timing.
Secondary Deadline: February 1, 2019
Secondary Fee: No Secondary Fee
FAP Waiver: No Secondary Fee
CASPer Required: No
Screens Applications: Yes
Accepts Application Updates: Yes
Carle Illinois College of Medicine Mission:
We educate exceptional physician-innovators to deliver high-value, compassionate health care through transformative solutions developed at the intersection of engineering, science and medicine.
Carle Illinois College of Medicine Vision:
We will be global leaders in transformative medical education, research and clinical care innovation, designed to improve the health and well-being of patients and communities around the world.
Carle Illinois College of Medicine Values:
5 MOST POPULAR PODCASTS
DOWNLOAD FREE - Crush the MCAT with our MCAT Secrets eBook