University of Illinois Secondary Essay Prompts
(If you have updated prompts, please submit them at updatesecondaries.com)
Prompts have been updated November 2023. (Older essays, if available are below)
- What characteristics, qualities, or attributes do you possess that have helped you to deal with conflict and change?
- Which characteristics, qualities, or attributes of UICOM attracted you to apply for medical school here?
- An important part of UICOM’s identity is the concept of “one college, three campuses.” The curriculum is identical on each campus; however, each campus has unique characteristics. Please describe what you have learned about at least two of our three campuses.
- What are some of the causes and consequences of prejudice and injustice? What does an individual’s response to prejudice and injustice reveal about their character? What is the role of a bystander who witnesses prejudice or injustice?
- UICOM values a wide range of perspectives. Describe an aspect of your own perspective, value system, or lived experience that is important to you and how it would contribute to the diverse and collaborative community at UICOM.
- Have you applied for admission to medical school previously? (Yes/No)
If you are reapplying this year please describe what you have done during the past year.
- Have you ever matriculated into and not completed a professional/graduate program? (Yes/No)
Please describe the circumstances of why you did not complete the program of study.
Primary Deadline: Usually around Nov 1st
Secondary Deadline: Usually around Dec 3
Secondary Fee: $70
FAP Waiver: Full Fee Waived
Casper Required: Yes
PREview Required: No
Screens Applications: Yes
Accepts Application Updates: Yes/Email
University of Illinois College of Medicine Mission:
The mission of the University of Illinois College of Medicine is to enhance the health of the citizens of Illinois and the nation by educating physicians and biomedical scientists, advancing knowledge in health and disease, and providing healthcare in a setting of education and research.
Through a college-wide planning effort, we have developed our College of Medicine Overarching Goals within each of the three mission areas.
University of Illinois College of Medicine Values:
- Excellence everywhere – in research, education and clinical work.
- Collaboration with all who can advance our mission at UIC and UIUC, the medical district and other institutions world-wide.
- Diversity- in all its forms from students, to areas of research to collaborative partners- as a means to a higher quality of health care for all.
- Innovation and Translation of new knowledge and new approaches to disease and health care delivery.
- Integrity and Commitment to the people we work with as patients, research subjects, communities and our own students, faculty and staff.
- The Promise of Hope for our patients and supporters by striving toward cures for diseases that have plagued humankind for millennia.
- In addition to training as a competent physician please select up to two additional areas of interest from the items below that you may want to pursue during your medical studies. Your responses will have no bearing on applications to joint degrees or special programs to which you might also apply. Provide a short, 300-500 words, statement on your interest and how you see it influencing your learning.
- Research in healthcare delivery
- Basic science research
- Interdisciplinary collaboration
- Healthcare disparities
- Academic medicine
- Global Health
- Community Health (urban)
- Community Health (rural)
- Innovation Medicine
NOTE: Please begin your statement with the letter(s) representing the area(s) of interest enclosed in parentheses as a programmatic queue. Separate multiple areas of interest with a comma. For example, your essay would begin as follows, if you chose Simulation and Research in healthcare delivery: (A, B) … If you choose just one additional area of interest: (A) …
- Describe any advantages and/or complications you encountered during your progression in education. Please include any noteworthy achievements and/or obstacles. (Examples: Acute or chronic illnesses, employment, financial difficulty, managerial role in household, etc.) (Don’t exceed 150 words)
How to Write About Your Obstacles, Challenges, and Problems in your Secondary Essays
NOTE: If you did not experience an advantage and/or complication during your education please indicate ‘Not Applicable’
- Describe a stressful situation that you have experienced. Please detail your reaction, how you managed the situation, and what you learned that will help you handle a similar circumstance in the future.
In addition to training as a competent physician please select up to two additional areas of interest from the items below that you may want to pursue during your medical studies. Your responses will have no bearing on applications to joint degrees or special programs to which you might also apply.
Basic science research
Community Health Urban
Community Health Rural
- Have you applied for admission to medical school previously?
- Have you ever matriculated into and not completed a professional/graduate program?
- Please describe any abrupt changes that you experienced in your preparation for application for medical school due to the COVID-19 pandemic.