The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley Secondary Essay Prompts
(If you have updated prompts, please submit them at updatesecondaries.com)
These prompts are from the 2021 Application Cycle and are unchanged from the previous cycle.
- List three adjectives that characterize the community in which you grew up.
- Briefly describe the community you anticipate practicing medicine in post-residency. (100-word max)
- In the event you are accepted to two or more medical schools, what factors would be most important in determining which school would be the “best fit” for you. (150-word max)
- The UTRGV SOM educates future physicians with the following values in mind: Patient Advocacy, Community-Focus, Cultural Awareness, Collaborative Leadership Style, Lifelong Problem Solving. Choose TWO (2) of these values and explain their importance to you and how they integrate with each other. Please explain how this integration will impact your medical school education. (300-word max)
- DESCRIBE EXPERIENCES YOU HAVE HAD UNRELATED TO SCIENCE OR MEDICINE.
PART 1: Required
- A situation in which you interacted with individuals who were different from you. (150 words)
- Mission at the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley School Of Medicine (UTRGV SOM) is to educate a diverse group of medical students and future biomedical scientists; to develop physicians who will serve across all disciplines of medicine; bring hope to patients and communities by advancing biomedical knowledge through research. Our goal is to provide a forward-thinking medical education experience dedicated to scientific, evidence-based, patient-centered medicine to serve all communities, including those underserved. Submit a 2-minute video that answers the question below. To submit a video of your response, please upload the video to YouTube as either Public or Unlisted. Do not upload it as Private. Enter the URL of the uploaded video into the text box below. How does your background and/or experiences align with UTRGV SOM Mission?
How to Write About How You Fit a Medical School’s Mission
PART 2: Select 2 out of the 3. Briefly describe the experience,state the circumstances of the experience (why you participated), what you learned about yourself through that experience.
- A community service experience. 150 words
- A position of responsibility/authority in which others depended on you for direction. 150 words
- A creative endeavor (anything that required you to be creative in your approach, such as fine arts, computer programming, web design, writing, etc. 150 words
Secondary Deadline: Unknown (Try to turn your secondaries around within two weeks after receiving)
Secondary Fee: $45
CASPer Required: No
VITA Required: No
Screens Applications: Yes
Accepts Application Updates:
The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley School of Medicine Mission:
The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley School of Medicine uses innovative, competency-based medical education to train the next generation of physicians who are committed to improving the lives and well-being of their communities through innovative research and compassionate, patient-centered care, as well as biomedical scientists who will lead the charge in advancing research on diseases such as diabetes and infectious diseases that affect the Rio Grande Valley and beyond.
The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley School of Medicine Vision:
To be a leader in the creation of a diverse and representative workforce, the stimulation of biomedical innovation, and the delivery of patient-centered healthcare for the Rio Grande Valley and beyond.
5 MOST POPULAR PODCASTS
DOWNLOAD FREE - Crush the MCAT with our MCAT Secrets eBook