Columbia University Vagelos Secondary Essay Prompts
(If you have updated prompts, please submit them at updatesecondaries.com)
These prompts are from the 2021 Application Cycle. (Older essays, if available are below)
- What were/are your undergraduate major(s) and minor(s)?
- Please select one of the options below that best describe your major.
– Biological sciences (biology, microbiology, zoology, etc.)
– Physical sciences (biochemistry, chemistry, engineering, etc)
– Social sciences/humanities (sociology, economics, English, etc)
– Other health professions (nursing, pharmacy, etc.)
– All Others (including double majors and mixed disciplines)
- If your name is often mispronounced, how do you pronounce it? What is your preferred name?
- Have you previously applied to Medical School? Yes or No
- If you took time off from your undergraduate studies, please briefly summarize your reasons for doing so.
- Did you work for compensation during college, during the year, or the summer? Yes or No
- If so, what did you do? How many hours a week did you work?
- If you have graduated from college, please briefly summarize what you have done in the interim.
- Please describe your most meaningful leadership positions.
- Columbia Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons values diversity in all its forms. How will your background and experiences contribute to this important focus of our institution and inform your future role as a physician? | How to Write About Diversity in Your Secondary Essays
- Is there anything else you would like us to know? | How to Write About Red Flags in Your Secondary Essays
- Do you have a parent who graduated from or is affiliated with Columbia University? Yes or No
- Please describe your parents’ occupations:
Primary Deadline: October 15, 2021
Secondary Deadline: Unknown (Try to turn your secondaries around within two weeks after receiving)
Secondary Fee: $110
FAP Waiver: Full Fee Waived
CASPer Required: No
VITA Required: No
Screens Applications: No
Accepts Application Updates: Yes/Portal
Columbia University Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons Mission:
The mission of Columbia University Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons (P&S) is to prepare future graduates to be leaders and role models in patient care, medical research, education, and health-care policy. Their experiences at P&S will enable them to shape the future and set the standards for medicine throughout the United States and the world. Their guided exposure and training will allow them to exhibit the highest principles of humanism and professionalism in their responsibilities to their patients, to their community, and to society.
Columbia University Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons Values:
- Patient Care
- Knowledge for Practice
- Practice-Based Learning and Improvement
- Interpersonal and Communication Skills
- Systems-Based Practice
- Interprofessional Collaboration
- Personal and Professional Development
- If you took time off from your undergraduate studies, please briefly summarize your reasons for doing so. (250 words)
How to Discuss Breaks in Your Education in Secondary Essays
- From which languages can you translate scholarly material into English?
- In what collegiate extracurriculars did you engage? (400 char)
- Did you work for compensation during college during the year or the summer? (300 words)
- If you have graduated from college, please briefly summarize what you have done in the interim. (300 words)
- What challenges do you expect to arise from living and working in a complex urban environment? How will you meet them? (300 words)
- Is there anything else you would like us to know? (300 words)
- Please describe your parents’ occupations. (100 char)