New York University Secondary Essay Prompts
(If you have updated prompts, please submit them at updatesecondaries.com)
These prompts are from the 2019 Application Cycle.
- If applicable, please comment on significant fluctuations in your academic record which are not explained elsewhere on your application.
- If you have taken any time off from your studies, either during or after college, please describe what you have done during this time and your reasons for doing so.
- The Admissions Committee uses a holistic approach to evaluate a wide range of student qualities and life experiences that are complementary to demonstrated academic excellence, strong interpersonal skills and leadership potential. What unique qualities or experiences do you possess that would contribute specifically to the NYU School of Medicine community? (2500 characters max)
- The ultimate goal of our institution is to produce a population of physicians with a collective desire to improve health of all segments of our society through the outstanding patient care, research and education. In this context, where do you see your future medical career (academic medicine, research, public health, primary care, business/law, etc.) and why? Your answer need not be restricted to one category. If your plans require that you complete a dual degree program, please elaborate here. (2500 characters max)
- Please answer only one of the following three questions (2500 characters max):
- The most meaningful achievements are often non-academic in nature. Describe the personal accomplishment that makes you most proud. Why is this important to you?
- Conflicts arise daily from differences in perspectives, priorities, worldviews and traditions. How do you define respect
- Describe a situation in which you found it challenging to remain respectful while facing differences?
- Describe a situation in which working with a colleague, family member or friend has been challenging. How did you resolve, if at all, the situation as a team and what did you gain from the experience that will benefit you as a future health care provider?
- Dropdowns to choose 5 faculty with whom you could see yourself working with in the future.
- Space to put how many hours of full-time research you’ve done. From the form:
- How many months of full-time research experience have you completed? When estimating this amount, you may convert part-time research into its full-time equivalent. For example, if you conducted part-time research for 1 year for ~50% of the time, this would equal 6 months of full-time research. Please do not include lab experiences associated with a course (e.g., organic chemistry course with lab)
3 YR MD Tertiary
- Please select the residency program you wish to apply to:
- Please describe your motivation for pursuing a residency, detailing how past experiences have shaped your desire to pursue this career path. (2500 char)
- What do you believe the three most important qualities are that make for not only a successful resident, but ultimately an ideal physician in this field? (2500 char)
Secondary Deadline: ~ November
Secondary Fee: $110
FAP Waiver: Full Fee Waived
CASPer Required: Yes
Screens Applications: No
Accepts Application Updates:
New York University School of Medicine Mission:
To serve, to teach, and to discover.
5 MOST POPULAR PODCASTS
DOWNLOAD FREE - Crush the MCAT with our MCAT Secrets eBook